manrose humidistat playing silly buggers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help me in going nuts here, I bought a manrose humidity extractor fan so it can turn on when needed, I have wired it in as per diagram into an isolator outside the bathroom, grey to perm live black neutral and brown sw/live. Right heres where it gets funny when the bathroom is steamy it works, turn on the light and fan stops so I thought I had perm and sw/l mixed up I swapped them and the light works the fan but no fan when steamy, other forums suggest disconnect the sw/live ive tried that but no good, I dont have a ceiling rose due to a different light any ideas as to what could be wrong? Any help would be great ;)

Sponsored Links
Are you sure black is neutral? Not that it is cast in stone but it is normal to see grey for the neutral (with blue sleeve), black (with brown sleeve) and brown for the lives.

Thanks, I should have said the cable I bought for the job has grey, brown and black my existing wiring is black and red, the diagram for my crabtree isolator states grey to loop in,brown to live and black to neutral. Brown to L1 grey to L2 and black to N. Then outoutward from isolator to fan L1 switched live. L2 perm live and N tl neutral. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
As per diagram to the letter, grey to loop in brown to sw live black to neutral to isolator the then to fan grey perm live black to neutral brown to swited live

Is the fan a new install in bathroom or a replacement?.
Normal wiring colours.
brown - perm live
black(sleeved brown) - switched live
grey(sleeved blue) - neutral

Totally new install as I said I dont have a standard ceiling rose the light we had when we moved in was a low profile one so all the 3 reds were in a chock block there was one single black neutral I assume and black wires with red sleeving switched live I assume so have wired the grey to loop black to single black and sw live to the sleeved ones rhen followed thru an isolator to the fan

Loop in at light(with 3 existing twin & earth cables)
1 x live,neutral & earth (supply in)
1 x live,neutral & earth (supply out to next light)
1 x live, switched live & earth to switch

3 x red chock block - perm live - brown fan isolator switch - brown fan p/l

1 x black(sleeved red) - switch wire - black fan isoltor switch - black fan sw/l

2 x blacks - neutrals - grey fan isolator switch - grey fan N

Did you do any testing of existing cables to identify their function prior to attempting to extend/add to the circuit?
If you do not actually know what purpose the cores are serving, what chances do you stand of getting it done right and safely?
Is there also 30mA protection to the cable/fan?

I tried to fit a fan with humidistat but it seemed it never turned off. It was in a bed room with shower cubical in corner and I assume the fan sensor was over damp in the end it would turn off but hours not minutes before it turned off.

I have a weather sensor with same problem dry out sensor and I read 48 to 95% without a problem but once it hits 95% it often sticks there and I have to dry it out.

After some time my fan with humidistat stated to work as expected but took a long time to settle down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back