Manual for bathroom extractor fan calls for a "remote on-off switch". What is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought an extractor fan with a timer to install in the bathroom. The wiring I thought would look like this:

[N + switched L + Permanent Live] ------> [3 pole isolator switch] ------> [Fan]

But an addendum was included in the box (photo of it attached) that calls for the use of a "Remote on/off switch". Do I need an extra switch somewhere or am I being an idiot and this is just part of the internal wiring in a 3 pole isolator switch? Thanks.

Attachments

• 305690494_1394965594362816_1325259388588044396_n.jpg
    305690494_1394965594362816_1325259388588044396_n.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
It's normally the light switch.

Right, looking those kinds of wiring diagrams confuse me.

So it's just as I thought, is it?

From junction box > [N + switched L + Permanent Live] ------> [3 pole isolator switch] ------> [Fan]

With the switched live going to the T terminal in the fan.

1664838545219.png

Absolute nonsense.

Surely without the 'remote' switch, the fan would be on continuously; not 'fail to operate'.

Isn't the double pole isolating switch 'remote' and would it not have the same effect?

The double pole isolating switch is not mandatory in the Wiring Regulations - although it is a good idea.

Sponsored Links
So it's just as I thought, is it?
From junction box > [N + switched L + Permanent Live] ------> [3 pole isolator switch] ------> [Fan]
Well - only if you intend to use the isolator to control the fan - not the usual way to do it as the timer won't work.

Will you not want a separate switch or have it controlled by the light switch?

Well - only if you intend to use the isolator to control the fan - not the usual way to do it as the timer won't work.

Will you not want a separate switch or have it controlled by the light switch?

Sorry, didn't make it clear, the "switched L" was supposed to mean it was coming from a light switch, yes.

Then (if you want an isolator) you will need a Triple Pole Isolator after the functional light switch otherwise it will also turn the light off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back