marks / indentation in undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

A quick decorating question. I painted some mdf cupboard doors and applied a dulux undercoat to the front. However, I had one of the panel resting on two paint tins to keep it off the ground whilst the paint dried. I thought it had dried enough, flipped it over and paint the other side (I had allowed 16 hours).

Unfortunately there is now an indentation / impression / mark in the undercoat. from the ring of the two cans, from where the paint had not quite dried enough and the weight of the door has left an impression.

Any suggestions how to remove the marks which is essentially a build-up of paint?

- Sanding seemed an option but perhaps would remove too much paint.

- I also thought about fine wire wool (if it can rub down a pine table nicely then paint too perhaps)

- Or perhaps rubbing the indentation / mark gently with a cloth and a little white spirit to smooth it down?

- keep putting layers of undercoat on until it masks over the indentation?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
It will depend how deep they are, try lightly sanding with 120 grit wet.

Dec

hi there, thanks

they are not too deep, they just catch the light because they are circular.

I gave very fine grit sand paper a go already, but it seemed to aggrevate /disturb the paint nearby the problem area too, making a whole patch too rough...

I was thinking that 0000 very fine steel wool cut smoothe it down nicely.

Can you see any problems with that?

You can give it try just remember that if you are using a waterbased paint those metal particles will rust, so make sure that you dust off the surface well before you apply more paint.

Dec

Sponsored Links
great advice, thanks

I used two coats of MDF primer (water based), then one coat of solvent based dulux undercoat. It is this layer that has the problem and needs to be tidied up.
I will finish with dulux egsheell

So my top coat and undercoat will both be solvent.

Thanks for the help

Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back