Marley tiles on 20 degrees pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to get a single storey kitchen extension re-roofed as reaching end of life. Roof pitch is 19 degrees and Marley state the modern or edgemire tile can go down to 17.5 degrees with 100mm headlap but is it wise to do it or am I better off with reclaimed welsh slate? Only issue with slate is breakages whilst installing and due to the single storey extension, the slate would need to be walked over to fix upper slates so concerned about unseen cracks and breakages whilst installing causing long term issues.

Sponsored Links
Looking to get a single storey kitchen extension re-roofed as reaching end of life. Roof pitch is 19 degrees and Marley state the modern or edgemire tile can go down to 17.5 degrees with 100mm headlap but is it wise to do it or am I better off with reclaimed welsh slate? Only issue with slate is breakages whilst installing and due to the single storey extension, the slate would need to be walked over to fix upper slates so concerned about unseen cracks and breakages whilst installing causing long term issues.
Markets are fine .

Don't know which shape tile you are describing but we have had flat ones down to 14 degrees ( that is what they used to say flat interlocking tiles were good for) with 100mm lap for 25 years without a problem. That is on single story extension walked on weekly for window cleaning

Marley interlocking will be fine.
Had them on my porch of 20⁰ for over a decade without issues.

Sponsored Links
There is nowt worse tile than a Marley modern for snapping (corners and gutters) like digestive biscuits, especially if you roof is a wee bit 'shapely'.

The best all rounder is the Marley Mendip, which is profiled. It will do very low pitch too.

And of course there is always the good reliable Redland mini stonewold, or Condron senior slate.. first class.

How much would be reasonable for a roofer to charge for a 11m2 small roof? No scaffolding required, rip off tiles, battons and membrane and re-lay it all with new Marley tiles, no skip. Got a few quotes and intrigued to see what people think.

Sorry should have mentioned, west Yorkshire so a bit cheaper than London

Condron senior 17.5 degrees :)
I've seen a few problems with those thin leading edge tiles flooding out! so I don't recommend them to anyone ,but I am based in Lancashire!
I looked on the condron site and it doesn't mention anything below 22.5

I've seen a few problems with those thin leading edge tiles flooding out! so I don't recommend them to anyone ,but I am based in Lancashire!
I looked on the condron site and it doesn't mention anything below 22.5
Oh really? Haven't heard of any issues with TLE, is this word of mouth or known issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back