Martindale E-Ze 150 Good or Gimmick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I am new to this website and quite new to computers so please forgive my poor mastering of the keyboard. I also thank every body who contributes to this site and making it informative yet enjoyable reading.

A quick introduction.

I am in my mid thirties and have decided that a change of career was in order as my current industry holds little future in this country.

In order to gain a footing on the property ladder I have over the last 5 year bought old delapidated properties and myself and my long suffering wife have done them up and moved onwards and hopefully upwards.

In this time I have learnt quite a lot about electricity from good trades people I have met along the way and after an epithany one evening decided that becoming an electrician was the way forward as I find the science of electricity enjoyable and working with buildings so as the two marry themselves together being an electrician was the way forward.

I have an absolute hatred of cowboys and decided that the only way to do this career change is properly so I am currently finishing level 2 2330, with a view to do 2382, and level three next year before contacting NICEIC et al and undertaking one of their schemes.

Anyway enough about me! My question.

I saw at the last minute on EBAY a Martindale E-Ze 150 unit and bought it for 13 pound (my keyboard has gone all American and I cannot find the pound sign). A bargain, but is it any use to an electrician in your every day use or is it a bit of a gimmick.

IE Keep it or sell it back on EBAY?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Richard Baxter

Sponsored Links
Its just a socket tester like many others on the market. Its handy for a quick check on existing sockets & will tell you if a wire is missing or if L&N are reversed.
Like all of these, it cant tell if earth and neutral have become swopped.

Handy in your toolbox but (IMHO) in no way is it a replacement for the proper test gear.

Would you use it for an initial test if a customer had an issue with their ring final main?

I am saving up for a decent 17th edition tester at presnt. So wasn't sure if the E-Ze was a good addition to test kit. I never thought it would be a replacement.

I had a under 10 pound one given to me which seemed pointless. (Which I use as a night light in my childrens bedroom!)

it will only detect quite gross errors.

It will not detect broken conductors on a ring unless the same conductor has been cut twice and you are lucky enough to test in the isolated part (a user will not be aware of this problem either since his sockets still work).
IMO a continuity test behind a socket on a ring is a better basic test. followed by resistance test between conductors.

Funnnily enough it will not detect the very gross error where a TNC-S installation has the Phase and Neutral crossed at the supply head (rare, but it does happen). At an electricity co I used to work for we had a safety bulletin banning use of socket testers after such an event.

Sponsored Links
Coupled with a plug-in timer it makes a good alarm clock - hard to ignore noise, it doesn't turn itself off, and if you use a socket you can't reach from the bed you just have to get up...

I just came back to ask a question about generator connections - absent-mindedly replied to a couple of other topics....

I have a feeling that the OP is probably referring to the 'Non-trip earth loop test' incorporated in the 150 tester, this does set the thing apart from other 'socket testers'... Be nice to hear if any one has actually verified readings obtained.
-0-

I didn't know that :oops:

didn't find it when I did a quick search

Well - it actually makes no difference. The original question was
A bargain, but is it any use to an electrician in your every day use?
And the answer to that is "No, it isn't, because an electrician needs a tester, or set of testers, that do a lot more than just measure EFLI, and so will have the ability to measure that anyway. Also, testers need to start out with a calibration certificate, and you aren't going to get one of those for a socket tester."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back