Masking Tape that wont peel the paint off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have to do a lot of griding of the conrete floor in my living room this weekend.

I have only recently repainted the LR (6 weeks ago)

To protect the walls and ceiling from the dust i want to cover them in polythene dust sheets that are masking taped up.

However im woried that the masking tape might take the paint with it when i peel it back off (as it has done in the past to me!!)

Is there some special tape i can use to leave my paint intact when i take the polythene sheets back down after grinding the concrete?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Always go for a good quality brand such as 3M, even then it can still remove paint.

I maybe wrong, but the longer you leave the tape on the harder it is to get off and the more paint it takes with it.

Look for the blue low tack stuff.

...I maybe wrong, but the longer you leave the tape on the harder it is to get off and the more paint it takes with it.

That's definitely the case. Try to get masking tape off as soon as you can. Ideally, within 24 hours.

Sponsored Links
Whilst 3M generally make good adhesive products, I've found their masking tapes to be quite poor quality in the few times I've had to use them. They have removed paint from a wall after only 30 minutes, left adhesive on a window and one of their automotive masking tapes removed patches of clear coat along with it.

The best low tack tape I've used has been the cheap own-brand Screwfix stuff. I've used thousands of meters of the stuff and never had any problems with surface removal or bleed through. Normally their own-brand stuff is pretty average (and some of their sealants are positively useless) but I've been pleasantly surprised by the tape. It has the added advantage of not being very expensive.

The best low tack tape I've used has been the cheap own-brand Screwfix stuff. I've used thousands of meters of the stuff and never had any problems with surface removal or bleed through. Normally their own-brand stuff is pretty average (and some of their sealants are positively useless) but I've been pleasantly surprised by the tape. It has the added advantage of not being very expensive.

Is this No Nonsense stuff you are referring too?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-professional-masking-tape-blue-25mm-x-25m/59867

Yes, that is the one. Be careful starting it off so as not to tear the end and you won't have any problems.

...I maybe wrong, but the longer you leave the tape on the harder it is to get off and the more paint it takes with it.

That's definitely the case. Try to get masking tape off as soon as you can. Ideally, within 24 hours.

Yup, I think the tape itself has a limited shelf life too.

Some of the rolls stored in my shed become difficult to peel off the roll, leaving long thin bits - takes forever to use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back