Masonary paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Got a heck of a lot of white masonary paint to buy for our end of terrace house which is being re-rendered.

What brand & supplier would you use?

I want to get the best deal I can on it as I'm fast running out of money to spend on this project!

Would buying online be cheap than in homebase or wickes etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Protecting the masonry from the prevailing weather is very important, so heres a choice of three. Dulux Weathershield, Sandtex, Leyland Truegaurd.

Dec.

Hi

I agree with Dec that you must use a good quality one.
In the past I have used white Dulux Weathershield and Sandtex. Both last Ok but in future I will use Sandtex as it is a whiter white (to my eyes!).

Ray

Sponsored Links
So it's best just to find the best price on Sandtex or similar in one of the DIY shops? Or by mail order?

What did you think to the ebay stuff? Isn't it similar and a lot cheaper?

Thanks

I think that when you open the tin you will find it contains no more than coloured water and will have the opacity of an egg white.

Dec.

Fair point.

I've had a look round for the branded items you've tlaked about and can't find any good prices.... any ideas?

Also.... some of it says 'one coat' is this the stuff I want?

Thanks

Be aware that when you paint new render white it will need at least three coats to cover properly. We used to get some builders to use snowcem to render if the walls were to be painted white as it makes it easier to cover. Sandtex is about the best masonry paint, you should pick up five litre tins for about £20 in the diy stores, colours are more expensive.

If you have an independent "hardware" shop in your locality I would be inclined to ask them to quote for the number of tins you require.
Frequently they are so keen to get the business that they will undercut any price that the superstores are charging.
Failing that, I suspect that B&Q or Homebase may be your best bet. Don't forget that come Spring many outlets will have "special offers" on paints etc.
Ray

I have the same opinion to Dec, use fine quality of paints. I will go with Dulux paints. I make use of it and have complete confidence regarding permanence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back