Masonary painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if you could give me some advice on how you would protect and coat the exterior masonary of my house?

Here's a picture of what I'm up against:

A few questions are:
1. I've got some good quality masonary paint to use but do I need other products to prep or seal the work?
2. In the parts where I'm taking it back to the masonary what sort of paint would you use?
3. How do I seal in the window (as seen in the picture) around the edges? Surely it's not ordinary Chaulk is it? If it worth renewing the stuff that's there already? It's seen better days! Should this be done before or the paint goes on?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The best advise is to follow the instructions on the paint can or technical data sheet. Each product has different prep and maintainance requirements.

There is no problem with using caulking around the window. This will be painted over anyway. Areas like this need to be thoroughly scraped and a coat of stabilising soloution applied before any top coats. Any filling etc needs to be done prior to any painting. Any proprietry Masonry paint will do on top.

Robbie thanks for your input. Really appreciate it.

So you'd prepare the surface, rmove the old sealant, fill cracks and then apply caulking in the joints?

Then it's time to apply a stabilising solution - what sort of product is this? What's it doing? Is it neccassary?

Then I guess I wack on a couple of top coats of the masonary paint you've already talked about.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If masonry is dry but stable then its fine , but if its powdery or has been flaking then a stabilising soultion is the answer. Its like a thin varnish that binds the surface together and allows you to paint over it with any type of masonry paint. Most of the manafacturers make it and yes it is nessecary if you want it to stay on the wall. Forgot to say the stabilising soloution goes on the walls and not the woodwork
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back