Masonry paint crazing ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Had my walls professionally painted a few weeks ago and have noticed this effect in the paint over approx 75% of the coverage. Is this likely to be a problem long term?

Paint was Dulux weather shield smooth trade, ashen white.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_MWP_20230707_131701117.jpg
    PXL_MWP_20230707_131701117.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_MWP_20230707_131655212.jpg
    PXL_MWP_20230707_131655212.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_MWP_20230707_131650190.jpg
    PXL_MWP_20230707_131650190.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_MWP_20230707_131644854.jpg
    PXL_MWP_20230707_131644854.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Looks like the paint has cracked, which will mostly cause the paint to flake off after the winter.

Sponsored Links
Looks like the paint has cracked, which will mostly cause the paint to flake off after the winter.

That's what I'm concerned about - giving mould and moisture a foothold. Question is how much is acceptable?

Presumably applied too thick or poor prep?

None is acceptable when paying a professional. Possibly lack of prep and incorrect roller nap and yes possibly the application was too thick.

I've paid them already and tbh I'm not sure I want them back. One of our windows was covered in paint splatter. We were getting the window replaced, and they knew that, but still should have taken care I think. We now have new windows in and I'm not sure I can deal with more carelessness.

The solution is to paint over this? It seems solid, as in can't be picked out with a fingernail.

Did they clean the walls first before painting? Pressure washer?

Nope, used them before for interior decorating and they did a good job. Originally a recommendation from someone else. That's approx 5 years ago, so we used them for this job. They do commercial painting too, two man band.

How was the paint applied?

Was it the trade version of weathershield or the retail version?

I have had similar hairline cracks over pebble dash in the past (when applying the first coat by brush). I tend to do a wet on wet coat to deal with it- That said I am using the tins that say Dulux trade and not the ones simply saying Dulux

Trade paint, as it says in my OP.

How big a deal is this, if I need to get them back I will, if for nothing else than to rattle them about doing a **** job, if that's what it is? I'm not happy about it, but not sure if I'm over reacting..

Trade paint, as it says in my OP.

How big a deal is this, if I need to get them back I will, if for nothing else than to rattle them about doing a **** job, if that's what it is? I'm not happy about it, but not sure if I'm over reacting..

Ok.

In my defence you said Dulux Weathershield and not Dulux Trade Weathershield. They are vastly different in terms of quality.

The hairline cracks may the result of the paint being applied too thickly, particularly if the surface was dusty before they painted it. That kind of pebble dash is a PITA to paint, you really have to stab at it with a brush. I can see quite a few pin holes in the finish, which would lead me to think that they hadn't been aggressive enough with the brush.

Pressure washing first is often advisable. A bit of light dust isn't too much of an issue, as you stab with the brush the dust blends in with the paint (but that makes the first coat of paint dirty).

Were there paint cracks previously?

No, no cracks previously. It sounds like this is borderline acceptable for professional work, considering the render is difficult to paint. I believe they rollered it btw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back