Masonry paint recommendations please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am looking to have the exterior of my house and garage repainted.

I have had 2 widely varying quotes so far and I am waiting for a third.

Each one though has recommended a different paint and critised the others.
One saying use water based the other oil based the third a water based undercoat with an oil based top coat.
One dulux the other leyland the third santex etc.

So I am looking for an unbiased opinion if any one can give me one.

There are a variety of surfaces to be painted smooth render rough render and pebble dash.

The house is situated within 50 yards of the sea in an exposed position.

So any recommendations greatfully received.

Cheers Jim

Sponsored Links
There is not much wrong with any of the paints you have mentioned but personally I prefer Sandtex trade followed by Leyland.

Water based are fine and generally have a 15 year guarantee now. Oil-based (pliolite) masonry paints do shed water better and stay cleaner a bit longer so cost a little more.

The need for an undercoat or stabiliser will depend on the condition of the walls. If they are sound but unpainted then a slightly watered down first coat of masonry paint will suffice. If they are flaky then prep and some sort of stabiliser will be needed, but sound painted surfaces can generally be painted straight over. Any dirt and algae must be removed with suitables cleaners/fungicides.

As far as the varying quotes go, I'm afraid it's the world we live in but try to get someone whose work you have seen so you have an idea of what you are getting for your money.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Thanks for the info misterhelpful.

THe walls are faily sound there is some light dusting in one or two areas I was told that the first diluted coat would seal this though.

Cheers Jim

Sorry Jim but I only just noticed that your house is near the sea.
In this instance I would recommend a pliolite paint, maybe even something like Johnstones Stormshield which is ideal for exposed conditions. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back