Massive condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am after a 2nd opinion. My sister has recently moved into a masionette. Last year they had no problems with condensation. During the summer, they had all the windows replaced for double glazing.

Since the cold weather set upon us they are suffering from massive, and I mean dripping down the walls condensation. She was so shocked by the amount of water that she thought a pipe was leaking. I was sceptical, but I've seen it with my own eyes tonight, and the condensation is certainly vast.

I went up in to the loft, and after poking about, found no leaks (there aren't even any pipes over the affected rooms), but found that under the fixed down floorboards in the loft (after taking up a couple) there is NO insulation whatsoever.

Could this be the cause of the problem. I ask as last year it was OK. Has the combination of the new windows, and the colder weather caused this condensation problem?

If so, I will get down to Wickes tomorrow and get insulating for her.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Condensation occurs only with moisture laden air, therefore ventilation is paramount - you can't hermitically seal a house, for example, and have dry air.

On these grounds, insulation is not a remedy. If it did anything at all, which is dubious, it would keep the house air warmer and increase it's ability to retain water vapour.

Since you say the problem has emerged only this year, something must have changed. One certain thing is that your sister may be experiencing colder weather this autumn, already, than all winter last year. Clearly this will increase the likelihood of damp.

However, she's also had new windows. Has any other work been done that affects the outside walls? Any repairs to render, any landscaping, any painting, any vents sealed up, any chimneys blocked up?

Also, what is the construction of the house? Semi? Terraced? Brick? Cavity walls? Two storeys?

Also, when was the loft boarded? How many damp free winters has your sister had there prior to last year?

You can see that there isn't enough information to give you an answer - can you provide more?

As an interim measure buy a dehumidifier for £40 from Argos - they help drying the laundry too. Buy a timeswitch for £5 and have it on during the day when not in the house if its too noisy - they turn themselves off when the humidity is low anyway.

Most humidity in the house comes from the bathroom and kitchen, and then finds its way to the coldest part of the house. Because there is now double glazing the coldest part is normally an external wall, expecially north facing under the windows.

Fit an extractor fan in the bathroom and leave it on for 30mins after a bath or shower. An extractor fan in the kitchen also helps - put it on while your cooking. Extractor fans with a humidity sensor mean you dont forget and they'll turn on as required.

Sponsored Links
Also, as an interim measure, should you find that you have Smallpox, buy some flesh-coloured paint from Argos and cover up all the spots. That way you can pretend that you don't have a problem!

How does your sister dry the washing? Tumble drier or draped over the radiators?

As it's a maisonette - how about the people downstairs? (water vapour rises even better than hot air).

Edited to say: I could not agree more about benefits the extractor fans to prevent condensation. I prefer bathroom ones to come on with the light, but auto on humidity is good too, as some people won't turn them on manually :rolleyes: . It's important with a bath, and essential with a shower.

Are the trickle vents at the top of the new windows open?

Symo

I think that TR1CKY has been swept away in the river of condensate...

Sorry! Sorry! Been really busy the last couple of days.

OK - On Saturday I got her a dehumidifier from Wickes, and also 6 rolls of insulation. I then set up and switched on the dehumidifier and set to work in the loft. It took 6 hours as the boards that were up there were either screwed down, nailed down or glued (or all three!) :cry:

Anyway - as a result, come Sunday morning there was no condensation to be found. The dehumidifier was switched off on Saturday evening, and was used again tonight (apparently) when the washing needed drying.

I think it's safe to say "job done".

Thanks for the replies fellas!!!

No no no! Honestly - I did ask that question!

Seriously though - she had been away for a week (but left the heating on it's normal cycle due to the weather forecast) so I know it wasn't the washing... ;)

JohnD_ said:
Edited to say: I could not agree more about benefits the extractor fans to prevent condensation. I prefer bathroom ones to come on with the light, but auto on humidity is good too, as some people won't turn them on manually :rolleyes: . It's important with a bath, and essential with a shower.

I also sorted this out on Friday night as it wasn't working. Their bathroom extractor now comes on with the light...They were having to open the window when having baths / showers etc...

My sister now wishes her other half wasn't quite so useless when it comes to DIY... :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back