massive disagreement with a garage. NEED HELP PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
8 weeks ago i ran my ford focus engine dry of oil (ok i know school boy error).
i took it to a local garage for repair after 1 week he rang me and told me i needed to have ny pistons rebored and it would cost £500, ok go for it.
after another 2 weeks he told me that had'nt worked and i need a new engine but i still owed him the £500. ok whatever needed done.
1 week later i was told he could not find a ford focus engine anywhere and had to completely rebuild my engine. and this would now cost £1.400. once again i told him to go for it.
2 weeks later it was fixed and ready for me too pick up. 3 days later i was getting towed home by rac as it sounded like a bag of hammers.
now he is telling me the crank shaft and conrods are totaly gone and this problem was unforseable until now and i must contribute towards a new engine even though i have already paid £1.400 to have it fixed.
my argument is he should have been able to detect the problem with the crank and conrods from his first analysis of the engine.
i want to know what procedure would be taken when this kind of repair is to made. would it be in a first analysis to check crank shaft and conrods?

I am desperate for answers here so would really appreciate

craig

Sponsored Links
"would it be in a first analysis to check crank shaft and conrods?"

Yes, most definitely. The crankshaft & con rods are the main items, together with the cylinder bores, which will suffer most when an engine runs out of oil and, any competent garage would, as a first step, try to establish what damage might have been done. In your case, if it had been established that the block needed re-boring with new pistons etc, it is inconceivable that the crankshaft and it's main and big end.bearings etc were not closely examined for similar damage. To re-bore, and fit new pistons, meant that your garage had to remove the big ends, crankshaft etc and it would seem that they took an expensive (for you) chance that these items were fit for continued use, A most doubtful decision if, as they found, the bores/pistons etc were already ruined.

it sounds to me like you've been ripped off by a back street grease monkey who throws in the cheapest parts he can source. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Ensure you keep every scrap of information, invoices/paperwork, that you have been given.
Write down all your verbal agreements, before you forget them.
Make sure you you can clearly present your side of events, again, write it down if necessary.

Now employ the services of a good solicitor.

Trading standards :cool:

And ask for ALL the faulty parts to be returned to you when you pick up your car. Then have them looked at by a pro... I did this when I "needed" a driveshaft for my astra. The garage reckoned that the "threads where damaged".. Not by me they whern't. When I pointed out that driveshafts have splines not threads they suddenly decided that they could replace only the "damaged" CV joint... Hang on said I, "you B****red the threads yourself taking the nut off" at which point I was told there would be no charge for that part of the job.....

£1400 should cover a complete rebuild, meaning everything such as crankshaft etc should be guaranteed problem free. This sort of work at this cost should really have some sort of guarantee (professional engine rebuilds come with normally 6 month / 1 year or some sort of mileage guarantee) If I got an engine which had ben run dry I'd be checking the crankshaft and rods thoroughly as standard. There is no way you should have a problem like this after an engine rebuild. This is not unforeseen by any professional mechanic.

Don't pay him another penny. 1tst approach I'd take is the polite calm discussion: try asking him to get it sorted for no more charge and see what happens. Suggest you have already been reasonable and allowed for 'unforeseen' problems with your previous £500 but can't pay any more when he should really have checked for this problem. Failing that then speak to trading standards but it might be tricky without documentation of exactly what was done etc.
good luck!

Had a problem with a Focus last year, it was needing crank regrind, new main & big end bearings. Tried all the local engine rebuiders only to find out that the bearings are unobtainable. Had to get second hand engine out of an accident damaged one.

Couldnt find an engine from a focus?
Focus being one of the most common cars on the road, hmm I smell bullsh1t.

Deffo speak to trading standards, he sounds like a bit of a conman.

don't be afraid to speak to trading standards,they are very nice people and only to willing to help. do this if not for yourself then to stop any one else being ripped off!

Sponsored Links
Back