Massive gas bill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all , Moved into a new house in december and just got my first gas bill £300 for 3 months, all the readings are correct so what could be the cause for such an amount ?

My boiler is fairly old Glowworm hideaway 40 whcih i had serviced when i moved in ,

By the way my gas consumption for the quarter was 486 units

any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
What other gas appliances do you have?, it's probably not an unrealistic figure for a high domestic user these days. I have to say I'm not looking forward to the day my capped price dual fuel deal ends...guessing my 100 a quarter may take a leap :eek:

It's winter! I'm sure your summer bills will be lower. You can occupy yourself closing all the doors and climbing into the loft to measure the insulation, as well as adjustingthe TRVs and the room stat, and buying your wife some woolly vests.

Cavity wall insulation is another bargain.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
What other gas appliances do you have?, it's probably not an unrealistic figure for a high domestic user these days. I have to say I'm not looking forward to the day my capped price dual fuel deal ends...guessing my 100 a quarter may take a leap :eek:

Gas oven as well .

spoke to powergen and they agreed it is higher than most domestic gas usage for the size of house and this bill is pre gas rise!

I have been told my boiler may be burning more gas than it needs.

Check the pipework is not leaking , have a soundness test carried out .Also a possibility that the meter is over-registering .

If the gas pressure at the meter outlet is much below the norm of 21mb the meter will be registering more gas than you're actually getting (because gas is compressible). Have the outlet pressure checked.

Also time how long it takes for the meter to pass 1 cubic foot (one revolution of main dial) with just the boiler running. It should take about 73 seconds.

call transco to check the meter

beware if there is nothing wrong with it they will charge you

Ask your wife not to leave the heating full on with all the windows open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back