matching wheel head valve at each end of the radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has come up before but i cant seem to find any info on it.
I have just moved into a new flat, it has a combination boiler with 5 radiators, i wanted to adjust the temperature in each individual room by using the wheel head valve, the problem is the radiators seem to have matching wheel head valves at each end.
Im not familiar with this setup, as usually i would have 1 wheel head valve which i can adjust and 1 lockshield valve on the radiator. In the meantime i have turned both sides up, but does anyone know why i would have 2 wheel head valves on the radiator? and also would i have changed the balancing by turning both valves up?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, if they were previously balanced, you have changed the balancing by turning both valves. Good news is, as you have a flat with only 5 rads, which I am presuming are mostly small/med sized, your system probably will run fine without balancing. This is a small system, and your boiler is designed to run considerably more.

Even if it was balanced before, it won't be now. I advise;

1) Open all valves fully

2) Control the heat/flow through rads that you want to alter, by adjusting only one of the 2 valves, ie. adjust one valve to suit, leave the other fully open.

3) Consider fitting TRVs

If after taking my advice, some rads don't heat up properly, then you will need to balance them after all. See the FAQs. Bet you won't need to though! ;)

Thanks for the reply Whitespirit66, will give it a go and see how i get on.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

, but does anyone know why i would have 2 wheel head valves on the radiator? and also would i have changed the balancing by turning both valves up?

Thanks in advance
yes, idle installer didn`t bother to change the heads by pulling them off - lockshield covers are supplied in the bag the valve comes in :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back