Maths puzzle

Sponsored Links
If the poles were as far apart as in the question posed then the answer would be 10 feet.
Could you tell us how far apart the poles were as 'posed in the original question'?

Because no distance was mentioned!

It's all about working out who can 'think outside the box' ;)

The numbers in the question only work if both ends of the cable are attached to the same point.

Therefore, if two poles are used, they must be touching.

The distance must therefore be zero.

Freehand drawing and measurement will show this faster than calculation, unless you have a sagulator app immediately available.

Could you tell us how far apart the poles were as 'posed in the original question'?

Because no distance was mentioned!

Because that's the question. Do you not understand the problem statement?

Sponsored Links
The numbers in the question only work if both ends of the cable are attached to the same point.

Therefore, if two poles are used, they must be touching.

The distance must therefore be zero.

Freehand drawing and measurement will show this faster than calculation, unless you have a sagulator app immediately available.

?

about57m as a 45degree angle you use up about 40% more material??

AWS is a very strange place. I interviewed a guy who had 5 interviews there - was told he was successful, then told they'll contact him when a job is available. 6 months later he had an offer from them, by which time he had another job. People I know who work there say its 2 years max, then move on.

AWS is a very strange place. I interviewed a guy who had 5 interviews there - was told he was successful, then told they'll contact him when a job is available. 6 months later he had an offer from them, by which time he had another job. People I know who work there say its 2 years max, then move on.

Probably the same as Bloomberg, been interviewed there a couple of times, not a pleasant experience.

I actually found the riddle very annoying.

I started by deciding I couldn't accurately calculate or draw it without an app or a scientific calculator, it's a parabolic curve and they ask for about accuracy within about 1.25%

Then I wondered if I could rough it as the chord and arc of a circle.

I thought I'd try to get a ballpark figure calculating as if it was straight lines.

Then I saw rsgaz's spoiler and tried to check it, and see why.

You'd have a triangle with two sides known. The pole is vertical, known, and the distance from pole to bottom of the sag is horizontal, unknown... so you have the beginnings of a right-angled triangle. The distance from top of pole to bottom of sag is (about) diagonal, known.

Treat the 40m height of pole (subtracting the 10m) as 1 vertical side, and the 40m (to the sag in the centre) of cable the hypotenuse.... but then you can't draw it as a triangle because it must have one side of zero length. Once you have the zero length idea, you can check it by thinking of hanging the cable from the top of just one pole, and yes, it's right.

Sponsored Links
Back