Matt on silk = crazing ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we have a small room that seems to have silk paint on the exterior facing walls.

never having done painting before i went with the "slap some on, how hard can it be?" approach !. Obviously i was wrong and had tons of crazing.

I have done the following

Original silk paint on walls
Rubbed down with sandpaper where pealing
2 x matt colour = crazing and not sticking to walls
1 x dulux sealant
1 x b&q undercoat
1 x matt colour = crazing and not sticking to walls

im loathered to sand it back to plaster and the wife now just want to try silk paint on top.

any suggestions on what i should do properly to get this matt on please ?

Many thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
hi we had the same problem this is what we were advised by a pro decorator and it worked fine to get round the problem apply one coat of soft sheen to the silk then apply the matt, the problem your having is the silk is to shiny so not providing a key for the matt the soft sheen acts as a tie coat as soft sheen can be applied to silk and matt can be applied to soft sheen save having to rub down all the best buddy

Jason,

You have rather got yourself into a bit of a pickle have you not, with all the different paints and sealers of which you have applied and not being able to view the end result, I am a little loathe to offer you advice with regard to either prep or paint system.

What are your paperhanging skills like, for you may be better off lining the walls with 1200 grade and starting from scratch.

Dec

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back