Max load on cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i'm planing to put a heavy load on 1.5mm cable what is the max load in watts on 1.5mm and 2.5mm 3 core flex :?:

Thanks
Jake

p.s sorry if there is a topic on this i could not find it

Sponsored Links
Except for flex cable current carrying ability depends on how it is cooled so depending on where it is run it will vary. Also there are many types of cable from the twin & earth rated at 70 deg C to Ali-tube rated at 90 deg C to mineral insulated the latter it is surrounding material which limits it's temperature. this will give you some idea and more tables in PDF can be found on cables manufactures web pages for example here but as you can see 1.5mm cable can be any where between 10 and 24 amps according to type and installation method. Appendix 4 of the 17th Edition runs page 252 to 317 so is quite a hefty wad of information on how much power can go down cables so not surprising it has not been repeated in full for free.

Flex rated at 60 deg C single phase 1.5mm = 16A and 2.5mm = 25A at ambient temp of 20 deg C flex should be exposed to air and visible for whole of its run.

Hi
It is well a heavy load my be a bit much it is 2480w 4 sets of Festoon lights and 6 80w Par36

No i don't not want any of that to happen

Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
2480w That's around 10A at 248v can't be bothered to work out exact but 1.5mm will take 10A.

However most festoons I have used have been 110v so then we are looking at double the current so around 22A so 2.5mm would be needed.

Watts = Volts x Amps yes I know it's a Joule per second and I have not included power factor correction before anyone picks me up.

But in general terms VA = Watts = Volts x Amps which as long as you don't go to limits is good enough.

fit the festoons with energy savers? 5 for 50p down at the supermarkets lately... or there abouts..

Hi
Thanks i will look at the PDF the cable will be used outside running under the shed and then going the the garage

I was looking at LED types as we all know they are getting rid of pearl light bulbs :cry:

Thanks
Jake[/quote]

Hi
Will i need SWA i was looking for the most cheapest way of doing it :oops:

Thanks
Jake

The cheapest way is not the best way to be doing this. Thats how people get hurt.

Either do the job right, or don't bother at all.

What you need is the services of a competent electrician.

As soon as you bury a cable you are looking at SWA. There are other cables which can be buried but that does not include flex.

I have used flex outside on permanent basis but this was rather hefty at around 150mm² and supplied pumps and cranes and was cordoned off so only authorised people could make contact with it. And as I first said it was visible through out its length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back