Maximum towable weight?

Yes it is common practice (and there are good reasons why)to have a free recovery service on the motorway during roadworks. this service is paid for by the highways agency. The company involved tenders for the duration of the roadworks on a fixed price basis, not per job. They don't get anything like the normal motorway rates, it is much less.

As we all know any motorway incident causes terrible tailbacks, more so on less or narrower lanes, which also effects the recovery trucks, being at the start of the works avoids this and clears the traffic quicker.

If you breakdown on the motorway most police forces allow you up to 2 hours to have your car removed(unless it is dangerous or dark) by your recovery agents (AA etc) after that they arrange to remove it and charge as per my above post. This is why the recovery is free, people would rightly complain if they had to pay when the law says they have 2 hours.

For the same reason it also prevents repairs being done in the roadworks.

You then have people who have no money or credit cards or can't speak english and it avoids delay's and traffic jams, whilst they sort these problems out.

A word of warning though about these free services. They are for the length of the roadworks only, they always have a sign where it starts and stops. They are only for that area and don't usually go outside it.They will drop you on the hardshoulder,a junction if easier or near their base. You then revert back to the 2 hour rule and having to sort yourself out, or what we said earlier. Free services are not there to take you home, to a garage or off the motorway. Sometimes if their base is local they may (at their discretion) take you back for repairs if you ask and agree to pay.

Sponsored Links
But my argument was that this was not a "road traffic accident"! There was no collision, no traffic, and the car was not (by this point) even on a road! Insurance was in force, and naturally the car had tax and MOT. I had full AA membership but they still charged me 117.50 to pull it out!

PS this was not on a motorway, this was a country road about 15 miles from my house!

I guess the driver did not intend to place car in ditch, so the vehicle went out of control, luckily no one standing at the roadside. .. thankfully we all get away with similar stuff without knocking anyone over... and mostly without popping into inconvenient ditch.
But rules are rules.. I do not know where one draws the line ... except, again something which applies to most of us, 'ignorance (of detail) is no defence in law' ... Had you known the detail, you may have approached a local farmer to tractor you out ... you could have had even more expensive damage done in using such an amateur, with no comeback. (witnessed that in country lanes before).
Only mentioned mo-way, because you may drive on that at some time without breakdown cover you may be wide open to large cost note the 2 hr rule etc.
I know how you feel, in your own interests do not cut off your nose to spite your face.
P

Wife's Cleo intermittently missing on one cylinder ... AA man very quickly finds faulty coil, slopes off and returns with replacement, fitted in minutes. ... Cost of part £72 (lease car thankfully) !! ... Ahem !! this vehicle has a seperate coils, piggy backed onto plug connector ... for each plug .... Now if private car, without breakdown cover, the whole thing could become very expensive .. like risking the catylitic converter driving on 3.1 cylinders. ...
Roll on the Oil burning Scenic in Feb (are they that difficult to source?)
P

Sponsored Links
A mate of mine had great fun with one of the motoring clubs. I can't remember which one.

He had an old Rover 214, was driving down the M1 and noticed the coolant temperature suddenly shoot up, steam appearing and the engine sounding distinctly miffed. The car was an old banger he had been given for free, and now it would seem a patch job on the cooling system by an earlier owner had failed (although of course that wasn't known at that second!). Being a sensible logical sort, he pulled over to the hard shoulder, stopped the car and rung the services.

The guy shows up, friend explains everything, says "I think it has lost all the coolant". Service guy says "I'll diagnose the problem!" (presumably with his tongue shoved behind his bottom lip, and waving his arms about like a 'spaz'). Gets in, starts the engine and starts revving the nuts off it! My mate standing to the side saying "Are you SURE that you should be doing that?!?!" :eek:

Funnily enough, after 2 minutes with this guy the engine was thoroughly f**ked. :LOL:

Back