Maxol 600 Homewarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all, as this is my first post on the forum. :D

I currently have a Maxol 600 Homewarm which has been installed in my home for some 15 years.
Despite the odd problem, it has been totally reliable. :)

I've now been told that Maxol as a company are no more, and that parts are therefore very difficult to come by. :eek:

Does anyone know if this it true :?:

As an example of this supposed difficulty in getting parts, i've been quoted over £36, for supply only, for a stat interrupter, which 2 years ago was only £11.50.

Does anyone know where i can still get parts for this boiler/set-up, as all my local agents can no longer help :cry: :?:

Finally, if i do have to replace this boiler/set-up, what would be a suitable replacement boiler/system, as i don't really want to get into changing loads of pipework etc. :?: :?:

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi
Maxol is not defunct it is a part of Glen Dimplex group.

Also part of that group now is Halstead Boilers who have aparantly taken over the supply of parts and tech support for Maxol.

Incidently Maxol are also supplying new HE boilers.

AlanE said:
Hi
Maxol is not defunct it is a part of Glen Dimplex group.

Also part of that group now is Halstead Boilers who have aparantly taken over the supply of parts and tech support for Maxol.

Incidently Maxol are also supplying new HE boilers.

Thanks for that info.

What does HE mean :?:

HE means High efficiency.

However, rather oddly, Halstead only makes band A boilers but their Band B are sold under the name of Maxol. They dont seem to promote them at exhibitions or by advertising them.

Maxol was always a lesser known brand making cheaper but nevertheless quite serviceable boilers in smaller quantities.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony that is correct Halstead don't make band B boilers and, as explained to us, on Halstead course couple of weeks ago, neither do any other boiler manufacturers!

Band B boilers are basically 'standard' ones with the addition of a recouperator and Halstead decided not to go down thes route.

Tony that is correct Halstead don't make band B boilers and, as explained to us, on Halstead course couple of weeks ago, neither do any other boiler manufacturers!

There are other boiler manufacturers making Band B units. Contrary to some internet proffered wisdom, the secondary heat exchanger principle has been proved to be very reliable and long lived. Long before 2005 a number of commercial and domestic manufacturers were building condensing boilers with secondary HEs.

Most of the problems in the early mass market domestic boilers 2000 on were with HEs and combustion systems in Band A appliances with only one HE.

The conventional burner is much less sensitive than the premix boilers and therefore much more reliable.

As far as I can think at midnight, Halstead is one of only a VERY few manufacturers who do NOT make a Band B boiler.

Tony

Sorry previous post was worded wrong as yes other boiler manufacturers supply B band boilers. What I was trying to say was that if you look at these 'B' band boilers they are normally their lowerer efficiency boilers modified to include a recouperator and different fan arrangement.

They have not actually gone out to design, from scratch, a band 'B' boiler, they have upgraded/reworked an existing boiler to meet band 'B' requirements.

Simond I wasn't trying in any way to comment on the reliability aspect of any heat exchanger arrangement and fully agree with your comments.

They have used tried and tested conventional boilers and a recouperator to produce a band B boiler which is very reliable indeed.

All new designs are premix which are very sensitive and need a competent person with an FGA to set up. They need a proper service every year and an FGA test and readjusting where required. Whilst they are very efficient thats at the cost of a very sensitive boiler which needs a higher level of engineer.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back