mcb,s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
is there any reason why I should'nt add a mcb to a different make of CU if I can get it to fit on the bar say contactum MSB to an MK CU ?

Sponsored Links
This is a real no no ! manufacturers design consumer units to be compatible, and compliant with standards using their own mcbs. The performance characteristics and fit of mcbs vary between manufacturers.

If a different manufacturers mcb is fitted, the installer then takes the responsibility for the compliance of the assembly.

Using different mcbs may appear OK until something goes badly wrong, the destructive forces of a heavy short circuit, or over heating should not be underestimated. For the sake of very little money you should stick with the consumer unit manufacturers own devices.

OK thanks now I know, my cu has at least 3 diffent types of MCB all adapted to fit and its been like that for a few years BUT I will change it as I accept that I've got away with it by luck rather than judgement.

to be honest this is not a major issue. Yes ideally all the MCB's RCD's RCBO's etc. would be by the same manufacture, but provided the MCB's are of good quality and fit properly on the busbar, this should be acceptable in a domestic installation.

Sponsored Links
Ah, here is an interesting one. I note the reply is from Ireland where consumer units differ somewhat in layout from the UK. In Eire consumer units claim compliance to different standards, and do not have to comply to BSEN60439-3 Annex ZA. The mix and match approach in Eire is a more accepted practice.

Although you may never actaully get a problem trust me its really not a good idea. In modern domestic installations the loading of current is progressively increasing due to the size and quanity of appliances, and fittments such as showers. In Ireland consumer units are design to be loaded to 63A rather than 100A for UK installations.

You may well gather I have some knowledge on this subject, the consequences that can occur. I don't wish to scaremonger but I see enough in my working life to make me play by the rules on this one. Incidently if anything did happen and could be shown to related to the CU with mixed devices, your insurance company may not cough up.

i think it is something i would only do if i couldn't get the part i needed for the make of cu i had

btw it's only the busbars that tend to differ so mixing makes in a non busbar enclosure or putting in different brands of contactor etc beyond where the busbar ends should should not be a problem

I accept your point luap2411, although i familiar with EN60439(3). CU's for use in commercial and industrial premises here must be to that standard. 63A CU's incidentally are on the way out. New ETCI rules to be introduced shortly will see all domestic CU's up rated to 100A in domestic installations and a MINIMUM of 125A in commercial. A move to disallow the use of a cu rated at less than 200A (regardless of circumstances) in industrial premises is under review.

Well although I appreciate the advice I think some are reading their manuals a little deeper than is necessary (bible like) if it fits the busbar and everything is tight and secure whats the problem? but obviously if I had the right brand mcb for the Right CU I would use it.

The reason for the Bible like reading of regulations is that more so now than ever before Courts of Law are taking into consideration the advice of regulations in deciding whether a case complies with the law and the judges tend to sway with the regulatory authorities in these matters, you may never have problems if you used good workmanship but the crux of the matter is that if an accident or injury occured then you could find that the health and safety inspector may pick up on the fact that the CU was "modified" by the use of "non standard" parts ,apart from the fact that manufacturers want you to buy their products they take the regs to be "Black and White" in these matters, if you are able to interpret the regs in your favour and be able to back this up in court if necessary at a later date then no worries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back