MCB tripped, reset still nothing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hopefully someone can shed some 'light' on my problem :rolleyes:
This morning i turned on the light and POP. I went to the MCB and the lights had tripped. I flicked the switch back to ON (where it stayed) and still nothing?!?!? Is there a fuse in the MCB that could blow and need replacing? everything else is fine (sockets, alarm, smoke detectors etc) but no lights :(

any help/advice would be fantastic
Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
your MCB might have failed, or there might be a poor connection in the lighting circuit that has melted. this is most likely at a ceiling rose (or, if you have them, a junction box)

Do you want to trace the fault yourself? Have you got a multimeter? If not, go up to the high street and invest £10 in one, then come back. A neon screwdriver will not do.

If you can post a photo of your consumer unit and the wires around it, that will help.

Thanks for the reply, the MCB is pretty new (May this year) not sure of the make, i will look when i get home from work and take some pics :confused:
The lights i switched on were wall lights, also newly wired in were there were none before(we have recently had a lot of renovations done some new lights and sockets being one of them).
Thanks
jon

well i nipped home at lunch and took a few pics (dont really know what i was taking pics of, sorry :( )
I also checked the bulbs in the wall lights, one of which had blown. I replaced this, still nothing :(
heres the pics

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Is there a fuse i can replace in this unit???
hope this helps :confused:

Sponsored Links
no, there is no replacable fuse.

I see it has been inexpertly altered since it was installed (some circuits are unlabelled, and a non-matching MCB has been fitted) so there could well be a loose wire inside the as an alternative to a bad connection in a lighting rose. But if you invest in a multimeter you can test at the first rose on the circuit and see if has any power.

If not, the next step is to turn off the main switch and open the CU. It might be a failed MCB. Are you confident to do that? If not, you will need an electrician. Preferably not the same one who fitted the GET MCB in a Volex enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back