MCB tripping after new shower installed

The question you seem to be dodging is, who the F installed it for you?
To be fair to the OP, it's not really a matter of 'dodging', since no-one has actually asked the question!
...If it was a "pro" you need to get a refund ....
It rather sounds as if whoever did it has really only done the plumbing (quite probably satisfactorily) and attached the new shower to an existing cable - in which case there may well not be anything that really warrants being refunded. It sounds as if the problem, electrically, is more a matter of what was not done (and, one imagines/hopes, was not charged for!), rather than anything which has been done.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
It rather sounds as if whoever did it has really only done the plumbing (quite probably satisfactorily) and attached the new shower to an existing cable - in which case there may well not be anything that really warrants being refunded.
Au contraire.

Whoever did it was duty bound to check that it was suitable for the circuit.

If he also supplied the unit then he is liable to refund the entire cost, or to pay for the necessary remedial works.

Fundamentally it was my fault as I ordered the shower direct from Triton, I asked for a direct replacement for my existing 'Bermuda' I was asked if I knew what Kw it was but could only suggest the size of the cable. Although I did say that I'd bought the original shower over 10 years ago, I wasnt asked what capacity the MCB was ( and at the time I was not aware that this was important) When the plumber quoted I told him that my new 'Belize' shower was a direct replacement ( as Triton had told me) he looked at the cable size and wrongly assumed that the MCB was adequate. So, the shower was installed I'd left it for a few hours be side I'd had some cosmetic work done and needed mastic to dry, upon testing it fully, realised the problem

The good news is that I've been told that I need a new Rcd/MCB shower unit fitted which is only £30-£40 plus labour.

Thanks for all your advice, hopefully I'll be able to shower shortly!

Surely a plumber (qualified or not) is not qualified to connect up a shower to the mains???

Sponsored Links
Apparently my Plumber was Corgi registered and has part P registration which allowed hime to work on my shower

fat lot of good it did you.

Is there any such thing as part P qualified?

I feel for you - you should be able to trust qualified people to do a good job. Was it he who suggested putting in a bigger mcb?

To be honest I feel really peed off about the whole experience

I don't have the number for a' traditional' plumber so tried the 'rated people' site, the guy who quoted seemed a nice chap and his credentials and price seemed fair.

He charged me the 'going' rate for the work, it seemed fine, but the fact that he hadn't checked one fundamental thing when he scoped the work has peed me off.

But what can you do? He's apologised and offered to install the RCD/MCB for free but to be honest I don't trust him, so will go with another electrician 'a competent person' who will charge me at lest £100 to add the device.

No wonder that everything else that doesn't require 'sign off' I do myself!

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back