MCB Tripping Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. At home I have a 5A MCB on a lighting circuit which keeps tripping out. Even when all the lights on that circuit are off, it will occasionally trip. I therefore gather there is an earth leakage. I am going to megger the circuit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Flying SParks

Sponsored Links
is there an RCD there?

when doing insulation tests remember to remove all the bulbs

EDIT: just because the MCB keeps trippin, it doent mean its an earth leak. it could be a phase to neutral leak

Also it may just be a mechanical fault with the latching of the MCB, especially so if no current flow is observed when you test the circuit. new MCB needed if so.

Sponsored Links
That's one heck of a "leak" to trip an MCB, even a 5A, (which probably implies a Type 1??)

The word "fault" or "short circuit" might be more appropriate...

Also you say "Even when all the lights on that circuit are off, it will occasionally trip" - anything else on the circuit? Fan? Shaver socket?

Hi Everyone. Thanks for all your replies. I could hear where the fault was (loud popping noise), so I have lifted the floor boards, and found a cable eaten by the bloody mice!! Replace it now - all working fine!

Cheers Chris

should've given them some nice SWA or pyro to chew on ;)

either that or remove the MCB so they fry (along with the house)

NOTE: i do not recommend this

andrew2022 said:

:D I find that having a cat works quite well! :D

ninebob said:
andrew2022 said:

:D I find that having a cat works quite well! :D
It's a real b*gger to keep them under the floorboards though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back