MCB Wiring holes not lining up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have just purchased components to wire in a consumer unit in place of my old fuse box (ie CU box, 100A incomer switch, 80A RCD and 4xMCBs). However on 'dry' assembly, it seems that the wiring/busbar connection holes on the MCBs do not line up with the with the incomer or the RCD.
The MCBs and RCD are both VOLEX components and the incomer is an MK component. Additionally, the RC and incomer have misaligned holes also. (i.e I have three connection hole "levels")
What I would like to know is; Is this normal, and is it done to account for the busbar and connecting wires being fitted to the incomer and RCD or; should all the holes line up? If they should, is there any reason why the VOLEX components are not made to the same standard?
Before anyone panics, the final installation and connection to the meter wires will be done by an electrician - I am just trying to get the ground works done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Jim

Sponsored Links
...The MCBs and RCD are both VOLEX components and the incomer is an MK component...
that's the problem. My Ford engine doesn't fit in my Toyota, either.

the final installation and connection to the meter wires will be done by an electrician
rofl5.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl5.gif

First, all your components need to be sourced from the same manufacturer.

Second, that should not be Volex!

Thanks John - I would accept that if it were just the MK incomer and VOLEX MCBs which didn't line up, but surely the VOLEX RCD and MCBs should - shouldn't they?

Sponsored Links
VOLEX is a cheap make which hardly any sparks like to use. MK, Wylex Or Crabtree are better makes.

You may have two Volex components, but are you attempting to fit them onto a Volex CU/ busbar?

If so, are they intended for fitting onto that?

Some manufacturers RCCB's or main switches have terminals that are at a different height and therefore the busbars supplied are pre-cranked to allow for this.

Seeing mixed components in a CU starts alarm bells ringing in my head and I wouldn't dream of mixing them myself. Manufacturers of CU's design their equipment to be used safely together, issues arise when using equipment in their board that is not designed to be used with it.

Thanks y'all. I guess I know not to buy VOLEX in the future! CU box is MK also - although I am not so bothered with that interchangeability as the CU mounting bar is to DIN standard - I just thought this might cover all the other useful aspects of the component design!
Some of the other questions - Why not a kit box complete? Couldn't find one that was wired as a split box without the box being huge to accept many MCBs. Why mix components? did'lt realise when I bought them that they were (and didn't check as thought they were all the same standard!)
One final question before I swap for MK - can the components be used together with a bit of tweaking with the Busbar as Click-Sure mentioned with the cranking?

Are you sure your electrician will be happy to connect this van-gough of a non compliant CU?

Please post a photo of the finised job for our hall of shame.
can the components be used together with a bit of tweaking with the Busbar as Click-Sure mentioned with the cranking?
I've still got a Ford engine for my Toyota. Will hitting it with a big hammer make it fit?

If you have an MK enclosure, incomer and busbar, take the other bits back and swap them for MK. They are better than Volex (but not as good as Crabtree or MEM) and will fit and will have been type-tested together.

I've not heard JohnD mention MEM RCBO pods for nearly 15 minutes now :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back