MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment my boiler is in a 32 mcb with 1 socket in my kitchen which i use the kettle, is this ok. if not i have a 16 mcb which just feeds 1 socket upstairs this only has one wire coming from the mcb. Can the boiler be put on the 16 and the sockets on the 32 or the boiler on the 32 and sockets on 16.

I am not atempting this my self it would just be nice to know. Peace of mind and all that.

Sponsored Links
MARK100 said:
At the moment my boiler is in a 32 mcb with 1 socket in my kitchen which i use the kettle, is this ok. if not i have a 16 mcb which just feeds 1 socket upstairs this only has one wire coming from the mcb. Can the boiler be put on the 16 and the sockets on the 32 or the boiler on the 32 and sockets on 16.

I am not atempting this my self it would just be nice to know. Peace of mind and all that.

You really need to be more clear about the job and what you are asking.

"At the moment my boiler is in a 32 mcb with 1 socket in my kitchen which i use the kettle, is this ok."
Are you saying that 32amp circuit feeds only a boiler and 1 socket for the kettle! It is OK though.

"if not i have a 16 mcb which just feeds 1 socket upstairs this only has one wire coming from the mcb."
A naive assumption to say that it feeds only one socket because there is only one wire.
You dont seem to have many sockets: 1 for the kettle, and only 1 other which is upstairs.

"Can the boiler be put on the 16 and the sockets on the 32 or the boiler on the 32 and sockets on 16."
If youre asking can you rearrange them: you can put the sockets on the 32amp IF it is a ring main; otherwise NO!.
You can put the boiler on the 16 IF it is going to be the only thing on it. (i.e. No other sockets)

"I am not atempting this my self it would just be nice to know. Peace of mind and all that."
I certainly hope not.

If youre info is correct, i sounds like you just have a cave with a boiler and small generator installed.

I do have other sockets on other mcb, but the ones I am talking about seem to have been separated from the others as i have not long owned the house i do not know why. Can i ask another question as there is only 1 red wire coming from the 16 to the socket upstairs can i assume this is not on a ring main and it cant be put into a 32 mcb which contains all my sockets which seem to be on a ring main.

this is the lay out i have.
32mcb shower, this is protected by a separate rcd.
32mcb cooker,
32mcb sockets upstairs and down,
32mcb boiler and kitchen socket 1,
16 mcb upstairs socket 1,
6mcb all lights.

I am no expert but it does seem a little weird. but everthing is working ok.

MARK100 said:
... there is only 1 red wire coming from the 16 to the socket upstairs can i assume this is not on a ring main and it cant be put into a 32 mcb which contains all my sockets which seem to be on a ring main..

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Did you trace that single red wire?

Sponsored Links
According to the IEE On Site Guide, A radial circuit with a 32A protective device is only OK if fed via 4mm2 T & E (or 2.5 MICC) and covers a floor area no greater than 75m2.

Perhaps the 16a MCB used to supply an Immersion heater before the boiler was fitted, And some one has changed it to a single socket circuit? :rolleyes:

Why not consider a gas boiler and or gas cooker. This may be cheaper in the long run, and gives you 2 extra circuits. Or another option is to convert the radial circuit to a ring main, and use it just for the kitchen (assuming it is extra sockets in the kitchen you are after). You'd obviosly lose your single socket upstairs, but it would be a fair trade off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back