McCulloch MT305 strimmer muffler cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm running through the parts I need to clean or replace to solve a "won't run except at half-choke" problem with my McCulloch MT305 strimmer (2-stroke). The manual suggests cleaning the spark arrestor screen on the exhaust (muffler), but the muffler is a sealed assembly with no access plate to allow the user to remove the spark arrester screen. There is no access plate shown on the parts diagram. There is a tubular wire mesh screen inside exhaust tube, but no obvious non-destructive means of access. There is also some kind of screen inside the entry port that connects the muffler to the cylinder (see photos). Any suggestions (other than "buy a better make")?

Parts diagram attached. Photos of the muffler are below ( ). The muffler is surprisingly heavy for an empty metal box, so there may be a catalytic converter or such-like inside.

Roger.

Attachments

• mucculloch 305 strimmer parts diagram.pdf
    998.6 KB · Views: 737
Sponsored Links
Hi Roger
As you see, these cant be dismantled so the best way to clean them is to heat them up red hot with a blow torch......this will produce clouds of blue smoke but once this has gone the carbon will start to come away - more successfully if you tap the thing onto a bench.
Hold the unit with mole grips or similar.
Its also important to have a look at the exhaust port now.....make sure all carbon is lightly scraped away (piston up) to see there's no blockage.
Try running the machine with the exhaust off if you like - it will be as noisy as hell but rules out an exhaust problem or otherwise.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back