MDF in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week I have fitted new skirtings,architraves and window board in my bathroom. I have used the white primed MDF and have undercoated and glossed. Unfortunately I have just been browsing posts and have only just realised that MDF if not good in a bathroom. I didn't realise that it was prone to swelling if wet. Should I panic and remove it or will I be ok as long as any gaps are sealed well. Are we talking about moisture causing it to swell or directly wetting it which will cause the problem. There is no shower in the bathroom.I will be gutted if I have to replace it all. Any suggestions please

Sponsored Links
Th emajority of MDF mouldings are made from MR (moisture resistant) MDF which has a green core, this will be fine unless you get it saturated with water

Jason

Sponsored Links
Good tip is to run either a clear or white fine bead of mastic around the mdf at floor level,stops the water penetrating underneath before the damage is done, even the green stuff will swell up if it gets soaked .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back