MDF preparation for paint & laquer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i got some 8x4 MDF sheets 22mm thick and i've cut them into wardrobe doors and routered the edges. I've got some Ronseal melamine & MDF paint which says it's a paint and primer in white.What i'm wanting to do is paint them white then give them a few coats of something like car lacquer to give them a high gloss finish. I was wondering whats best to rub the wood down before and inbetween coats of white and the lacquer?

Sponsored Links
as it`s m d f you shouldn`t need to rub it down prior to painting the first coat give it a wipe with a damp cloth and allow to dry a fine sand paper then between coats wear a proper m d f dust mask as this stuff is dangerous and i avoid it as much as possible do it outside if you can

You'll need to be carefull with the routered edges as they will be 'fluffier' than the rest of the board. A good way to seal this edge is to brush a 50/50 pva/water mix onto the edges to seal them. Once fully dried rub down gently and then proceed with your normal painting sequence.

thanks guys, the edges are fluffier like you said, ill try and pva them to seal it better, but ill try a test piece first, someone told me this stuff really doesn't like water and will expand if i get any near it?

Sponsored Links
You're right about mdf and water (if its soaked). The tried and tested way to seal mdf open edges is pva/water 50/50 mix. This will seal the edge allowing you to lightly sand with fine paper and then paint. If not the open edges will always look rough and cheap.

Thanks, ill cover the rough edges in a pva mix then i have some of that anyway. Do you reccommend wire wool or fine sanpaper like a 60-80 or something?

First gently sand the open edges with 240 grit paper.
Then apply a 50/50 mix of pva/water, when fully dry cut back again with 320 or finer grit paper and apply a coat of an oil based primer to the edges. When this is fully dried de-nib if required, then apply your chosen primer to all sides/edges. From here on your normal painting method will apply. Make sure you paint all surfaces to avoid bowing.

I've always had good results with Dulux Woodsilk - get a decent brush and the brush marks disappear completely.

Good luck

Thanks for the great help, im gonna take your advice and now start the job, i got mixed up when i said 60-80 grit, forgot its rougher the lower you go lol,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back