MDPE Lead Loc Plus - does it need to be exact size???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I have measured the lead pipe and it's 22mm.. I bought 2 MDPE Lead Loc Plus for 7lb, 23mm lead before accurately measuring.
My question is do they need to exact match ie what's the tolerance as I read it's better to get a 22mm fitting for a 23mm pipe and shave it down so it's super-tight?

Someone advised that Philmac Universal Transition Coupler 21-27mm x 25mm is just as good, if not better and has one size fits all fitting. Just checking I don't need a pipe insert for the lead as well as the MDPE?

Thanks in advance
J

Sponsored Links
LeadLoc's are the traditional transitional compression coupling, they have changed the internals I believe, used to be a brass split grab ring fitting that bit into the lead with a compression ring and o ring to provide the seal, changed now I believe and now uses a copper and a nylon compression grab rings along with the o-ring seal, size needs to be closer as there is usually less adjustment, hence the different sizes.

Philmac and Plasson use a compression grab ring and orings and tend to have a greater size adjustment under compression, they are classed more as as universal couplers. With them all though the lead needs to be shiny clean and as round as possible.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back