Mechanical Extractor Fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a refurbished flat a few years ago.

It turns out that building regs weren't signed off - so basically my solicitor has been sorting out the major issues (as they had missed it in the first place).

On the list was 'mechanical extractor fans to be fitted to bathroom and kitchen.'

Now the bathroom has 4 windows - 2 of which open fully (about 2ft wide by 4ft high - so not small). Never had problem with condensation etc.

The kitchen is a kitchen/lounge and has 6 windows - 4 of which fully open (similar size).

Now according to the planning regulations that I have read on the government planning portal website - mechanical extractor fans are only required if there is no openable window.

So I don't understand why the council requires this or whether they can force the issue - as it seems in direct contradiction to goverment guidelines. Personally I prefer it without them and want to keep it this way!

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A fan would be required for new build kitchen and bathrooms under current and recent past b/regs, but whether they were required at the time the property was built, or if the extent of the refurbishment required a new fan to be fitted is down for your Solicitor to determine

Having windows will not be a substitute if a fan is deemed a requirement

Missing fans would be picked up by a decent surveyor at sale time and used for bargaining by the buyer

Hi Woody

Thanks for your reply.

If the council deem I have to have these extractor fans - are these fans that you can put into your window and work from the inside - I am a top floor flat.

Yes those fans, if of the required extract rate, will meet the b/regs. However they are generally crap to use and inefficient - but as you have no condensation issues will be fine just for getting a completion certificate

But as you are in a top floor flat, be mindful of possible wind noise and draughts, so ensure that the fan has proper anti-draught shutters

Sponsored Links
Hi woody

can you tell me who would install these extractors? Is it an electrician?

My solicitor seems to be telling me it's a difficult job and am not sure whether to believe him!

Thanks

Yes, an electrician must connect the fan, but whether he will cut the glass - or organise a replacement double glazed unit, you will have to find out.

It's not difficult though - as long as the glass can be worked on/removed from the inside

The OP is in a top floor flat. Number of stories is not known, but installing any eaves outlet would require scaffold or a cherry picker, not a ladder due to safe working. So there is the cost of that hire, in addition to the work

Also, the eaves would be part of the structure, and the OP may not own these or be permitted to work on them without the building owner's consent - again cost

Agreed a soffit, or even roof vent with loft fan would be better, but may not be practical for the OP.

But if it is the builders job (and at their cost), then let them fit one of these instead of a window fan

I am actually top floor flat and the flat is in the loft space (eavespace).

Can the fans be put in from the inside as scaffolding might be quite tricky, due to neighbouring walls etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back