Megane-2001: How to test/replace TDC sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, can anyone be helpful in telling me to How to test/replace TDC sensor on my Megane-2001 16v.

many thanks :cry:

Sponsored Links
I take it you know where it is?
Right hand side of engine (when leaning over the bonnet) unscrew it, give it a good clean - it may just have crud on it.
refit & retry.

You can find out more at the Renaultforums but I have the feeling that the best option would be to just replace it. (but try cleaning it first).

It is fixed into engine (right under side of the coils) and the wire is coming from (or goiing to) the coil wiring. It comes out two way, either pull it out and put it back, or you have to unscrew the bolt and open it. is this what mean. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

yes, remove it (unbolt/unscrew) and then clean it, use meths etc & check for iron filings.

Then refit the opposite way.
Also make sure the connections are sound.

Often a good clean is all it needs as little bits of carp have got into it & affect it.

The renault forums I mentioned have many more people that are experts on this car. I did this myself on my megane to cure a fault & it worked.

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate, thanks a lot. will try doing it 2mrw. meanwuhle, do u recon i will buy one off ebay under a tenner if i want to replace it/ and will i need the whole loop+TDC or just TDC to replace?

Renault forum is ok.

Prob just the TDC..

Don't try a main dealers, ring round the local motor factor/spares suppliers.
AFAIk they are about £19 ish.

Morning, well i managed to open it yesterday, it had strange whilte little mettalic things sticked which i wiped & cleaned with a scratch pad and put it back. so this week, it will tell if it was just this that it wanted or it needs a new part. what i need to know from you if TDC is working and let it start, can it be faulty???
pls view item #180333544065 and give me ur opinion if its ok to bid?

Meanwhile, i am gratefull indeed for your time & help.

THANKS

What has been going wrong with the car?

If it's just bad running (like a dog) and it no runs OK then that may have been the problem, however on the megane there are loads of other things it could be.

I.E. if you have individual coil packs 1, 2 or even all of them could be duff
and in need of replacing. I have been told by the garages that if you replace 1-2 then soon after the others go so replace them all together. although that mayjust have been a way of charging me more :D

well, when i bought this car in nov last year, on day it never started and had to be recovered to electrician as the battery weent dead. he said it was its immobilizer and so removes it. then it lost its starter motor and i had to replace it. then it started building power loss. i got coil # 3 changed and it came back to 80% and then i replaced coil #4 and now its running 100%. the second prob was this not starting sometimes and so many places (including that electrician) said its the crank sensor. i think its sorted now. don't think it has any other problem so far and will be soon beacuse its running and engine seems sound and in good condition. garage are the greediest ever people on earth, they want to millionaire thru their garage. i always try to get some votes from around when i get their opinions, i never trust them when they say all needs replacing, they had no interaction with eachother, work independently on a cylinder.

thanks

HI, can anyone be helpful in telling me to How to test/replace TDC sensor on my Megane-2001 16v.

many thanks :cry:
just gewt a mirror take off tdc which is placed ontop of gear box housing fidlerly but easy to get to with mirror clean with wire brush put 2 10mm bolts back should have no prob

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10062&highlight=auto describes the job well.

The fault may be the connector between the sensor leads and wiring loom rather than the sensor itself (later connectors were modified by Renault).

The sensor is basically a small bar magnet with a coil of wire round it. The inevitable little splinters of steel chipped off the ring gear by the starter pinion get stuck to the magnet and interfere with it's output.

Has anyone got any good ideas on how to get at the sensor on a Kangoo Auto, other than dismantling half the engine bay (thermostat, wiring loom battery and ECU are all in the way - Renault designers must really HATE mechanics! :evil: )

Sponsored Links
Back