'meggered' a flourescent light

KEW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just done an insulation test and did not disconnect one of the flourescents from the supply, and now its not working, what part of the light is it likely to have 'killed', and can you buy just the specific part that is kn#ckered or do I need to replace the whole light?

Sponsored Links
Depends on what type, is it a HF ballast? Could have fried the electronic ballast if this is the case. Is it a normal type wire ballast but utilising an electronic starter? Might have fried the starter in this case.
In either case you can get the parts, for a ballast you need to get the correct one for the lamp wattage.

Bad luck KEW, I to started to do this, but realised what I was doing before the meter got going, phew!!!!!

So easy to forget mate, I put post its on the CU to remind me to check now!!!!

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but I would think that meggering a PC would probablly fry the power supply but I wouldn't think it would get any further than that.

A colleague of mine IR'd a colour TV.

8 times.

Kept wondering why it was such a carp reading...

It survived!!!

Do you do the 250v test then the 500v? Or are you saying just do the 250v and forget about the 500v test alltogether?

Yes, I'm afraid I did megger a PC, it was my own silly fault, rushing around, luckily it was only the PSU, which at the time were about £40.

I even fitted a better one than the existing, luckily the customer was understanding and I've done work for them since.

I'm a LOT more carefull now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back