Melting Roof....HELP !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a problem with my roof and I wonder if anyone can confirm what I believe.

The roof is a typical 35 degree sloping roof. It has IKO top grade shingles on the top covering as I wanted good quality. The underlay is ALL a thick bitumen based Snow and Ice barrier, not a name brand so I cannot guarentee the quality. I queried this at the time with the roofer as I felt that he shouldn't cover the whole roof with snow & ice but only the eaves and use normal felt in the middle, but he was quite adamant that the whole roof should be snow and ice.

What has happened. The South facing part of the roof which has the sun on all day has started to melt bitumen which is seeping from under the IKO tiles. The roof has lots of leaking streaks of bitumen running about 12 inches each. This happened in the summer when the temperatures were in the early 40 degrees, so very hot.

The roofer is now denying responsibility and blaming the IKO tiles, but I am 90% sure that it is because he used inferior quality snow and ice barrier AND because he covered the whole roof with it.

This is not a cheap and easy solution as far as I can see as the whole South facing roof will need to be replaced .

Any thoughts would be appreciated ?

I have photo's if that will help.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully this works, not to good on photo's.

We are from Bristol but this is on our house in the Bulgarian mountains, snow in winter and 40+ in summer.

roof5.jpg

roof4.jpg

roof1.jpg

"Houston, we have a problem" :eek:

I suppose you really need to post on a Bulgarian building forum, as they would know more about local construction methods and policy. But you could also try a US forum as they may have experience in shingle roofs

Sponsored Links
Well you have my sympathy...that is a sorry shame. Mind you it wont leak but looks so bad. We don`t really use those materials here much for serious housing.

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back