MEM MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to track down a source to replace an old MEM MCB.
Unlike modern designs the 2 pins on the back of the MCB are parallel [code:1] l l [/code:1]
rather than the modern inline [code:1] -- -- [/code:1]
The breaker is dark brown with a small red test button above a larger, brown reset button.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
They found one buried with a T rex in Mexico in the late 90's........

Seriously, they are well dead. If you find any of those still alive, then you're a lucky so-and-so- they're rarer than hen's teeth...or rocking horse p*o, etc...

The only safe way is to rip-out the old unit and fit a modern consumer unit in its place.

a possibility is to henly in a shower CU

but frankly its probablly not much more expensive to replace the CU with a modern one

Sponsored Links
Why would I want to rip out a perfectly good CU just because it's about 10 years old? As far as I know, the flat in which it is installed was converted in 1994. Or did they install some seriously obsolete kit?
BTW "a possibility is to henly in a shower CU " que?!

shower CU is a term used for a small (generally rcd) CU generally used to fit a shower when there is no space in the main board or when the ratings of existing devices are worryingly low

fitting procedure given below but if you don't feel confident at following theese steps get a pro in

adding a shower CU is not rocket science but you must work carefully and make the connections well

remember bad connections on a 50A cuircuit can be bad enough and this is 100A wiring so take care

this is a shower CU
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=05435&id=69659
p1591610_l.jpg

(you can change the mcb to a 40A if suitable)

you will need to henly block it into the tails this is done as follows
fit a double pole henly block to the fuseboard
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=05950&id=14850
p1431955_l.jpg

turn off the main switches on both the existing CU and the new CU
PULL THE SERVICE FUSE (TAKE CARE SOME OLDER SERVICE FUSE UNITS LEAVE AN EXPOSED LIVE WHEN YOU PULL THE FUSE)
remove the tails from the meter to the existing cu
use fresh 25mm red and black double insulated tails to rewire the cu's

connect meter to henly block
conenct henly block to main cu
connect henly block to shower cu

conenct the earth from the new CU to your main earth terminal
http://tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLEB8.html
TLEB8.jpg

useing 16mm earth cable if you do not have one install it between the main earth and the CU useing 16mm cable from the main eart to the main earth terminal and from the main earth terminal to the cu and move main equipotential bonds to it

put the service fuse back
turn back on main switches

pjaj said:
Why would I want to rip out a perfectly good CU just because it's about 10 years old?
How about because it's older than that and you can't get parts for it any more.

As far as I know, the flat in which it is installed was converted in 1994. Or did they install some seriously obsolete kit?
Seems that way. Maybe it was second hand.

especially with diy rewires is was (and possiblly still is) common to keep the old CU

we had our house (with modern ring wiring installed by dad) on an old bakalite wylex standard with 2x5A reqireables for lighting and 4X15A rewireables for 3 rings and an imersion heater

the kitchen fuse blew occasionaly but it was probablly less than once a year so not a significant problem

the CU was finally replaced when we had an extention built

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back