memera circuit breaker tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have 5A memera circuit breaker tripping - the lighting circuit trips when bank of low voltage lights is switched - suspect initial high current rush is tripping breaker.Want to fit HRC fuse carrier - have got one but the pins are larger than the consumer unit will allow.Anyone got any ides.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure i've heard of "Type C" breakers that will better handle inrush current like you mention, but i think you'd have to be sure that was the problem rather than just a shorted out transformer on the lights or similar...

Perhaps testing the ELV lights seperate from the lighting circuit would be a good start?

I would have thought that any MEM HRC carrier would fit the bus bar.

What exactly do you mean by 'pins too long'? As in the busbar pins are too long?

Sponsored Links
I'm sure i've heard of "Type C" breakers that will better handle inrush current like you mention, but i think you'd have to be sure that was the problem rather than just a shorted out transformer on the lights or similar...

Perhaps testing the ELV lights seperate from the lighting circuit would be a good start?
No short - there are two banks of lights and both do the same - think you are right about type c but don't know if i can get one to fit bus.

I would have thought that any MEM HRC carrier would fit the bus bar.

What exactly do you mean by 'pins too long'? As in the busbar pins are too long?
The fuse carrier i have has wider pins than the breaker that fits in bus.

It shouldn't matter that the holes in the carrier are wider than the prongs on the busbar - that's just cost cutting.

I think it is time for a pic of your fusebox, and one of your new fuse...

it physically won't fit

ha ha! You might think so, but in MEM's case, PROVIDED IT IS FROM THE CURRENT RANGE, you can use the industrial Memshield MCBs etc in the domestic Memera CUs (but not the other way round). Memshield has bigger prongs than Memera and bigger grippers. If you have a look in teh Mem catalogue I think it says something about what MCBs and fuse carriers you can fit (the RCBOs have the bigger terminals but you can use them). The AD range of MCBs has the small terminals.

But I agree we want to see photos so we know what we are talking about. there are some old obsolete ranges that this does not apply to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back