MEM MEMERA CART. FUSE - Drop in Replacement Circuit Breaker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fused outlet in my garage that I want to re-use. It currently (no pun intended!) has a 30A MEM MEMERA Cartridge Fuse fitted. This to too large for my needs and I could replace it with a MEMERA 15A fuse which is closer to what I want.

However, I would like to fit a Circuit Breaker rather than a fuse (an RCD would not be suitable for the equipment to be powered).

Can anyone tell me there are "drop in" replacements for the cartridge fuse holders so I can just plug in a new, say 16A, circuit breaker ?

regards
Dave

Sponsored Links
Photos would be useful, but probably what you need is to remove the fuse carrier from the bus bar and install an MCB.

Maybe best to entrust this job to a qualified electrician if you're inexperienced with poking around inside CUs.

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I can't close enough get access to it at the moment to take a decent photo, I was hoping to know what I needed to buy before I had to do some rearranging in the garage to get me access to the fuse box. (It's a single fused switched isolator remote from the CU).

I had hoped that my question could be answered relatively easily - I think it's more of a question on MEM equipment, rather than the specifics of my box ? I realise that the isolator/fuse is relatively old, but hoped that someone might be familiar with the MEM range.

Looks like I need to get that tidying done so that I can get into the isolator box to have a closer look! (I am comfortable enough "poking around inside the CU".

regards
Dave

If it i this style you can change it easily for an MCB.

R417997-11.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thanks for the reply. Your picture is of a MEMERA 2000, unfortunately, mine (MEMERA only) seems to be a bit older.

I've found a photo on the net of a 15A module, but the profile is the same as mine

regards
Dave[/img]

Hi Again,

thanks a lot for the confirmation - it is pretty much what I expected, but in best "straw clutching" mode, I thought it worth a try asking just in case.

regards
Dave

These older mcb's are really dodgy- I have had 2 or 3 fall apart when they were being removed (just as well the power was off)

Better to change it for a new unit (preferably with an RCD)

Thanks for the tip!

I'll check it out when I get the garage tidied up and I can get to the thing.

The house is about 25 years old, the isolator and fuse look to have been a slightly later addition but are probably around the same age, so as you say, probably worth just replacing it,

regards
Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back