Replacing cartridge fuses for circuit breakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to update the fuses in my consumer box (currently old style cartridge fuses) with circuit breakers. Firstly, is this possible and if so, where would be the best place to source these? Any comments as to how I would go about finding exact replacements would be much appreciated also.

TIA

Jules

Sponsored Links
Put your email address in your profile, someone may have a few knocking about ;)

Thank you. Yes, it is a Wylex and yes, the fuses are as you mention. Thanks very much :)

Thanks also to John but too late, I've already ordered them. Thanks anyway :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

Received the fuses from Screwfix today (1x6A, 2x32A) but, unfortunately, they are the wrong size. The pins on the fuses supplied are too close together :(

When I've had another look at the pictures on Screwfix, the fuses shown are not what I've received. The pics for the 6A and the 32A are actually pictures of 5A and 30A fuses (printed on the fuses is B5 and B30, my replacements show B6 and B32). Also, the pins are in the correct place on the pics.

Does anyone know of any online stores which sell the correct ones?

TIA

Jules

By the way, the original fuses are of the type where you have to replace the wire if the fuse blows. I called them cartridge fuses in my original post. Is this what they are known as??

Jules101 said:
...The pins on the fuses supplied are too close together...
I hope you haven't sent them back yet... I think I know what the trouble is.

All the fuses and MCBs have differently spaced/sized prongs. This is deliberate to stop you putting them in the wrong place.

I would hope that the new MCBs arrived with plastic coloured shields to fit. These have little slots in that the correct prongs will fit.

You turn off the power, remove the old fuses, then (one at a time) unscrew the old shield and fit the new one.

There are two important reasons for swapping them one at a time:

1) When you remove the plastic shield, the busbar is exposed to touch (although it will not be live if you have turned off the main switch)

2) It prevents you accidentally putting the 6A and the 32A in each other's places.

I think you'll be able to fit them successfully. If not, I have some. Post a pic of the Consumer Unit if you can.

You old ones are called "rewirable fuses" not cartridge fuses.

Jules101 said:
By the way, the original fuses are of the type where you have to replace the wire if the fuse blows. I called them cartridge fuses in my original post. Is this what they are known as??

No, those are semi-enclosed or re-wireable fuses (to BS3036)

Cartridge fuses have a smaller carrier and when it blows you pull the carrier as normal, but you open it up and put a new cartridge fuse in (very similar to the ones in plugs, but bigger), (BS1361*)

Wlx1361.jpg

*There are also BS88 cartridge fuses but you won't find them in a house

Well, thanks very much for all the replies. My mistake it would seem. Yes, they came supplied with replacement shields and yes, once swapped for the old ones they fit perfectly!

Doh.

And thanks for the offer of some fuses. Very kind of you :)

One other question, not related to the fuse saga - there is a seperate panel in the cupboard that says "Off peak heating". It has a blue, 15A fuse in it but the on/off switch is always in the off position. What was it for???

Regards

Jules

I can't see where the cable goes from here.

Quite likely an immersion heater.

If you have a dual meter or meter with a timeswitch then it would come off the cheap rate, and this is cheaper than full price.

However it is not usual to have off-peak/economy 7 unless you have electric storage heaters too.

Just getting my crystal ball out, hmm lets see....

something is coming through....

ahh yes, that is (or was) for off peak heating

TTC

PS Damn your speedy fingers JohnD

Off Peak heating? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, couldn't help it ;)

DAMN ALL YOUR SPEEDY FINGERS!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back