Mesh in slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay a concrete slab in a barn and am having some problems with the mesh. One layer of A142 mesh has been specified.

My problem is that its rather flimsy. Even with the proper "chairs" it seems very bendy to walk on.

is it intended to walk on? If not how do lay a slab in an existing building?

Cheers
Colin

Sponsored Links
mesh used in a domestic scenario is usually precautionary.

it is in the event of lost consolidation or voiding occurring in the sub base.

even though it seems bendy now it will stiffen considerably when surrounded by concrete.

try and bend a short length (4") with your fingers.

noseall said,

even though it seems bendy now it will stiffen considerably

OOOhhhh you are awful!!!! :eek: ....... but I like you.

try and bend a short length (4") with your fingers.

Where can you get a short 4" length, and is a 4" length really that short? :confused: I wouldn't take an inch off for no-one. :oops:

Roughcaster.

you are a card 'rough! :LOL:

the point i was trying to make is, although thin steel will react and feel rather springy over a distance, short lengths of the same thickness steel will not.

it is over short distances or pockets/voids that this mesh will be offering its protection.

Sponsored Links
I know what you mean Nos, I was just twisting your words around.....tut, and to think my Father was a vicar.......... Notttt !!!!!! ;) ......... Also, just for info. When I worked with Tarmac, we were never allowed to walk on the steel mesh at any time when concreting floor/roof slabs, we had to put planks down.

Roughcaster.

sorry rough' i'm a wee bit tired and lacking in the old sense of humour thing tonight. :rolleyes: :LOL:

do you think a four year old is too young for a whisky nightcap.......... :eek: ;)

No, It'll be alright. Thin it down a bit, say 3 to 1. :LOL: .....Are you still busy enough at work?

Roughcaster.

I'm happy that it will be stiff when set in the concrete. I am worried about bending it by walking on when pouring the concrete. Are you meant to use a plastic chair at every junction in the mesh?

cheers
colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back