Metal cable sheathing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been having a look through the regs.

Anyway,I read something which says if cable is less than 50mm deep in the wall then it must be laid in 'earthed metal conduit'.

What I'm thinking about is not conduit as such but the metal galvanised trunking.
Does this have to be earthed?If so how? I'm presuming contact with a metal back box would not be sufficient.

I've never seen this stuff earthed before or have I misenterpreted the regs?

anybody help? :eek:

Sponsored Links
u can place wires in certain areas, just stick to them.

you can place wires vertical or horizontal from a switch/socket etc w/o protection and along side corners and the top of the wall (think itz 150mm width)

EDIT: if outside these areas, they must be protected and it must be earthed, unless it is more than 50mm deep, which would be hard

Cheers for the quick response.

I always use horizontal runs and vertical drops,all in galv sheathing.

Never have I seen this stuff earthed.

Should I stray from this path then my understanding would be that the sheathing would then have to be earthed. :)

Sponsored Links
marquee said:
Cheers for the quick response.

I always use horizontal runs and vertical drops,all in galv sheathing.

Never have I seen this stuff earthed.

Should I stray from this path then my understanding would be that the sheathing would then have to be earthed. :)

yes it would have to be earthed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back