Metal conduits in consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At a property there are old colour wires coming through steel conduit which is connected with flange coupler to old metal consumer unit and steel conduit is used as earth ( CPC) . i am replacing cu with 18th edition box which requires more space so iam trying to put the consumer unit to other side. can i extend the cables by adding metal clad back boxes to each conduit ?

Sponsored Links
You can, but you may find the knockouts do not line up, maybe plain sided galv boxes, you can drill yourself may be better

Which connectors should i use to extend cables to comply with latest bs regulations

Sponsored Links
Din rail connecters in a suitable box in my view is more superior

It needs to be metal really so you can make the cpc connection to conduits.

and drill holes at custom spacing.

There are 3 conduits from bottom and 1 from top so it might be difficult to find box to fit in that space

Leave the existing CU in place, gut everything except the earth bar and DIN rail if there is any. Fit DIN rail terminals (And a bit of rail if needed). Refit cover and include a full set of blanks or replace with a metal plate.

Thats good idea , thanku so much everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_090445.jpg
    IMG_20210515_090445.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 774
Or even mount the new CU on the front of the old.

Can you post a picture or two?

I have only this picture at the moment i just need to find a blank plate for this if that works

Attachments

• IMG_20210515_090445.jpg
    IMG_20210515_090445.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 67
I have only this picture at the moment i just need to find a blank plate for this if that works
Yes a brilliant pic thanks, I thought I'd made my
well timed:)
reply to your post, not mine.

One of the easiest ways to finish that is to fit a metal plate to the rear of the existing cover to fill the big holes. Of course if you have the skills and tools to make a new front cover...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back