Metal container used as shelter leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Have a large metal container used as a field shelter. Have a couple of holes which can't see until it rains then leaks like a down pipe from a roof in heavy rain! :rolleyes:

Have boards on roof so can walk across it, was thinking of using bitumen on roof to seal it. Want to ensure I get the right type not just a pretty paint. Heating not good but could do if essential! Have a second roof which is asbestos, has several small holes, any left over would be used on that. Yes it's the piggery again!

Garage roof is wooden tiles, any one with experience in replacing these please? :) Replacing from inside looks good. Need to consider safety as live in isolated rural area so climbing ladders kept to minimum. Has to be done!

Know I'm posting in the best place to get excellent replies- much appreciated! Thank you folks, have a good day! :)

Sponsored Links
If you're talking about a metal shipping container, I would just bung some sealant over the holes. If they are particularly large and you want a lasting fix, get someone in to weld a couple of patches over them.

Thanks for the suggestions sound good! Have used sealant, silicone as used by plumbers, problem is holes small and difficult to see until water comes through like Niagara Falls when it rains and can't see them when it's dry! Holes so small, in one spot, where there is a long dent about 2 ft long! Was thinking of a good thick cover for about 5 sq ft to ensure getting the ---- covered. Been a cuss to cover suspect area with silicone and get down to find drips on your head when you walk into the container! :rolleyes: A video of me doing it would be a laugh! Looking for a quick fix to last a year or two only.
Your comments greatly appreciated, thank you very much! Used a black mastic on roof of car port when laying felting - flat roof. Good sticky stuff!

Sponsored Links
This is why a fibre type sealant is good..........it's paint on and used on flat roof repairs.....the fibres make bridging holes/gaps easy.

Buy a cheap spray paint (or even just a waterproof magic marker) and when it next rains, go inside and mark all the leaking areas - hey presto, next time its dry, transfer the marks to the outside using judicious measuring and fix said holes with your preferred method. If you live in a rural area, you'd be surprised how many people may own welding kit and be willing to do it for surprisingly little. I've got farmers sons do dostuff previously for me for a few cases of beer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back