Metal doors. Contacts or use PIR instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new house is currently being pre-wired for an alarm that I will fit when I move in.

The front and rear doors are metal framed with PVC skin. Will this present problems for door sensors? If so would I be better using PIR at the front door/hall and the same for the back door/kitchen?

I'd also like to get my hands on a typical alarm layout for a 4 bed two storey house to ensure I have the PIR layout right.

One more question. I plan to put the alarm panel in a cupboard off the hall. Would it be worth while installing a RKP upstairs to part set or is that overkill?

Sponsored Links
there are contacts that you can purchase from Security Supplies to enable your alarm system to comply with current regulations (and old regulations)

perimeter protection: IE doors leading of of the property, to be protected by a magnetic door contact (or suitable device)

volumetric protection: within areas of the lower floor with windows leading to the exterior of the property.

thats the basics really.

yes we would fit a remote keypad to the top floor, (i always do this on domestic properties, so if the alarm activates, the client does not have to go down stairs to find out why and can arm and disarm the system from upstairs)

location of detection devices
each of the lower floor rooms not facing the windows, try to fit them to corners at the reccomended height as described in the instruction manual

external siren,
as high as possible to the most visible point

decoy siren unit.
to the rear of other position to be seen

position of `end station` (main alarm brain and battery)
put is somewere were it cannot be seen, but can be got to, so if you need to get to it (you will have to change the battery sometime) put it by the electrical distribution board, supplied via a unswitched fused spur, fitted by a part P certified electrical contractor.

other than that there is not much more,

internal speaker/sounder,
lower floor or upper floor, that is down to you

if need any more info let us know

No problem fitting contacts to metal doors. Just stick to surface contacts (trying to fit flush contacts to metal doors is not for beginners really!)

You'll need a 3mm HSS drill bit to drill the door for the fixing screws.

There's not really such a thing as a "typical" alarm layout: each house is different, and they usually pose specific problems/issues. This is why professional alarm companies will survey the property beforehand to ensure that the detectors are fitted in the correct location and that any vulnerable areas are covered.

Usually a PIR in each room downstairs plus one on the landing, contact on the front door. Garages/Conservatories require a dual tech detector due to the relatively harsh environment compared to the rest of the house. That's not to say that's all that is required. As above, every house is different.

Your last question is personal preference. You don't need one, but I would recommend one in the master bedroom. That way if the alarm goes off, you can silence it and see where it's gone off without having to go downstairs. You also have the built in panic button available too (most keypads include a panic function). Trying to get a cable in after the house is done will be a pain in the backside!

there are contacts that you can purchase from Security Supplies to enable your alarm system to comply with current regulations (and old regulations)
Where does the above come into the question / answer, I can't see the link myself.

A DiY installed system is Grade 1, Not enforced in the UK, DiY style bells-only systems.

In other words use & do what you like

Sponsored Links
europlex
if i wanted to i could have gone into the regulations for the installation of intruder alarm systems in buildings

IE EN50131, DD243 DD245 PD6662.

but no, all i stated that there are door contacts available so as the system can comply with the regulations, i did not state what those particular regulations were

anyway, would you fit a plastic standard grade 1 CQR door contact to a metal door?

i wouldnt, because depending upon the construction of the door and using metalurgy to its basics a magnet would (in some cases) could fail and or cause false alarms

that is why i always specify a metal door contact to a metal frame, and or constructed door.

so stop taking every post so literally, all we are here for is to help out those who do not what to phone companies like ours to fix there alarms!

i will get off of my soap box and go get myself a coffee, before i come back into the office to complete my VAT to give to the accountant in the morning!!

John
Oasis Technical Services (southern) ltd
a fire, security, cctv and electrical contractor

Thanks for the replies. I don't yet know the make up of the door so it will be difiifcult to tell what the top and edge of the door is constructed of under the skin. I suppose the electrician will have an idea as he has wired many similar properties and will probably have wired for some alarms.

Good idea having an RKP in the bedroom, something I hadn't considered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back