Metal fastening/anchor securing timber frame to wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone happen to know the name of this type of the metal fastening (shown below) securing a timber frame to a brick wall?

How would I remove it? Would I simply drill into it with a suitable drill for metal?

Thanks.

FASTENING.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like the remains of a hollow wall anchor, but shouldn't be.....by all means drill it away with an HSS jobber drill.
John :)

I've just got a tiny screen just now, but that looks like the barbed end of a hollow wall fixing - which is great for plasterboard and such like but not ideal for where it is used there!
If I'm right there would be a 5mm screw sticking in the metal fixing, and as the device enters the brickwork it does expand when the screw is tightened.
No worries though, just drill 'em out.

Sponsored Links
I've just got a tiny screen just now, but that looks like the barbed end of a hollow wall fixing - which is great for plasterboard and such like but not ideal for where it is used there!
If I'm right there would be a 5mm screw sticking in the metal fixing, and as the device enters the brickwork it does expand when the screw is tightened.
No worries though, just drill 'em out.
If that's what it is, how do you thnk they put it in (out of curiosity)?

Do they drill a hole into the timber/brick, then hammer the anchor it?

If it's what I think it is, a hole would be driven through the timber, and then into the brickwork beyond. The fixing would be lightly tapped in...usually it's either a 8mm or 10mm hole required.
Tightening the screw provided with the fitting would cause some expansion and cause the fitting to grip - but no where near as firmly as a traditional plastic plug!
If you can show us one of the fixings once the timber is removed, we'd know for sure.....is the timber that we see pretty thin?

Hollow fixings are longer than that so they would penetrate into the brickwork- but not by much!
Traditional plastic plugs are the way forward here, if you need to replace the timber.

Hell, I remember using the original Rawldrill......hexagonal steel with a replaceable splines bit?
Bash with a hammer, turn, bash, turn - until you had a hole deep enough to insert a fibre plug.
Oh joy!

It always amuses me greatly when people say the old tools and materials were the best... deeply laughable... skills.. different matter. I have no doubt skilled craftsmen of old would have killed for the kit we have today. "don't build them like they used to" in many cases I hope to hell not. Give me a time served craftsman who has kept up with modern materials and methods any day.

Hell, I remember using the original Rawldrill......hexagonal steel with a replaceable splines bit?
So do I - we used to call them star drills as they had 4 flutes at the end, from memory. You could get a sort of spring drive holder which turned the drill bit through 1/4 turn or so every time it was struck (instead of having to do it manually). Funny thing, though, was that it was always the foremen who owned these mechanical wonders whilst it was us poor "grunts" who actually had to do the work with the simple sleeve holders. Still, when it was blockwork, soft brick or soft stone it was still less tiring to bang away at a star drill than it was to cleave, fix and cut back multiple timber wedges. We don't know how lucky we are these days

Yep - that's the one! I don't recall the spring drive one though.
I used to be set on 'pluggin'......raking out the mortar at skirting level and then inserting a tapered softwood plug - for weeks on end.
I suggested once that a wedge could be set into the mortar as the bricks were laid, just to save this onerous task. I was soon told to eff off and mind my own business :eek: but there again I was the boss's son :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back