Metal flue removal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I'm not sure if this comes under roofing or plumbing or possibly something else.

I don't have a chimney stack in my home, I have a metal flue that runs up the wall cavity and then pops into the house in the loft and up through the roof with a lovely spinning cowl on top.

Anyway i'm removing my gas fire and want to remove said flue as in strong winds (or even just mild winds) this thing goes absolutely mental and it sounds like the whole house is going to shake to pieces.

How would I (or rather a professional) go about doing this and is it a simple job? I've read something saying that you shouldnt remove a disused flue but should rather just cap them off but surely it can go cant it?

Another question is would you just cut it off in the loft leaving the part in the cavity wall there or is it not as simple as that? I've read something about condensation but I'm not sure if that applies.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Oh one more thing, is this a job for a roofer or plumber or both? Or indeed neither?

Sponsored Links
It's more roofer than plumber and it's a fairly simple job of disconnecting the last flue joint in the loft space, removing it through the roof, recovering the hole with roofing membrane recreating the correct lap and finally fitting the relevant roof tile or slate to match the existing. Then pop the spinning cowl on eBay as they go for good money !

It's more roofer than plumber and it's a fairly simple job of disconnecting the last flue joint in the loft space, removing it through the roof, recovering the hole with roofing membrane recreating the correct lap and finally fitting the relevant roof tile or slate to match the existing. Then pop the spinning cowl on eBay as they go for good money !

Thanksa lot. Thats brilliant information, ta. Just one thing, does it need capping off or anything in the loft once its been disconnected?

Sponsored Links
Personally I would leave it alone as it serves no purpose to seal it off if you are removing the fire totally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back