Metal Post Spikes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to install a wood privacy fence in a large area using metal post spikes. How durable would the fence be compared to putting the 4x4 posts in concrete.

Sponsored Links
Over here they are called metpost. The metpost do cope quite well and easier if you need to change the post if it's rotted. The concrete method is more solid & stronger. What some of them do is, concrete the metpost as well but I rather use concrete post bedded in concrete instead of wooden post.

I suppose if I use metpost, I would use it up to 4' high panel and any higher I would use concrete method depending on the design of the fence panel against the force of the wind.

If you do decide to concrete in wooden posts, make sure the concrete is tapped well into the sides of the post (no gaps) and raise the top of the concrete out of the ground level at 45 degrees upto the post on all 4 sides. This ensures any water runs off the concrete and away from the posts, otherwise it will sit on top of the concrete and rot the post.

Sponsored Links
Also what I find with metpost, it's not easy to line them up against the fence panel, depending on the ground condition as they can sometime twist as you bang it in or goes out of line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back