Metal socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a metal double socket on the wall in my garage and wondered if i can replace it with a normal plastic socket andflush fitting back box ?
Appreciate any help
thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on what your wall is made of and how thick. I wouldn't suggest trying to cut out for a backbox if it is a single leaf wall (as in most garages); however, if it is lean -to and the wall is against the house or it is a cavity wall then no problem.

Hi
Yeah it is a single wall just wanted to confirm was ok to fit plastic socket in place of metal socket that is on at present.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thee current metal socket is damaged and I have a spare plastic double so thought I may as well use it but will replace with whatever one is the safest and correct

Thee current metal socket is damaged and I have a spare plastic double so thought I may as well use it but will replace with whatever one is the safest and correct
If whatever goes on in your garage has managed to result in a metal socket being damaged, that suggests to me that you ought to replace it with another metal socket - a plastic one would be far more vulnerable to future damage.

Kind Regards, John

I agree with John, the nature of the environment and the hazards that can occur through plates being damaged by being bashed about, I would stick to metallic faceplates, if the walls allow they can be sunk, but this may well require the cables then to be sunk/buried. So then we would need to consider the regulations regarding newly buried cables within walls and their permitted safe routes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back