Metal strips for garage door bolts reinforcement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used these two metal strips to slow down a break in because they can't get to rear screws. They can unscrew near ones though. The screws arent long maybe 25mm shall I put in 70 or 80mm ones? Worried they could still lever it offo
DSC_0222.JPG
DSC_0225.JPG
DSC_0224.JPG
Number 8 screw size

Sponsored Links
How deep into the hole does the bolt go? This will determine how easy it would be to jemmy the door. I would try to make them sink in at least 50mm from the outer edge of the frame. I would also think about trying to bridge that gap between the frame and the door. Maybe a length of angle iron fixed to the post in line with the door edge so the door will still open but be difficult to get a lever between.

A crow bar would slip in the gap between the door and frame then open the door in seconds.

Sorry.

Andy

Sponsored Links
How deep into the hole does the bolt go? This will determine how easy it would be to jemmy the door. I would try to make them sink in at least 50mm from the outer edge of the frame. I would also think about trying to bridge that gap between the frame and the door. Maybe a length of angle iron fixed to the post in line with the door edge so the door will still open but be difficult to get a lever between.

At a guess the bolt goes between 30 and 50mm into wood. Obviously it comes out of lock a lot more than that. There are two bolts either side of door. The garage door can be forced to the left or right so if pushed to left the gap on the right opens up an inch

So the angle iron would run the total length of frame and screwed into it? Would wood work?

Last edited:
Off to get some metal strips or angle iron then and narrow that gap. Will have to have a bit of a gap i guess so door doesn't jam. Crowbars are tapered so not too wide. Would the metal strips need to run from top to bottom or just the first metre from the bottom?

That looks better
If it was me, I would use angle iron on the frame first, protecting the back and side of each frame, then the sheet to stop crowbar entry - actually if you could source a T profile would be the strongest

is it a metal door? If a sturdy vehicle is reversed into the door, it will crumple and the sides will pull in, perhaps pulling any bolts or their fixings out, perhaps the door will fall off its tracks.

is it a metal door? If a sturdy vehicle is reversed into the door, it will crumple and the sides will pull in, perhaps pulling any bolts or their fixings out, perhaps the door will fall off its tracks.
The garage is located right next to a block of flats. Mine is 40 metres away but one flat just ten metres. It's on a private road off the public road. Up a steep hill. I think anyone who wanted to break in would do it quietly. A car smashing into it would wake everyone up.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back