Metal strips for garage door bolts reinforcement?

Sponsored Links
Yes
Imagine being insidE the garage and fitting the T into the gap between the frame and door, moving it to have two sides of the steel against the wood
Then open the door and screw both inside to out, and sideways

Yes
Imagine being insidE the garage and fitting the T into the gap between the frame and door, moving it to have two sides of the steel against the wood
Then open the door and screw both inside to out, and sideways
I think I know what you mean. The top left side of T would be behind door as well like the metal in my picture to prevent a crowbar and other side behind the frame with vertical part of T down the side

Last edited:
This metal pole would bend the door easily and fits in. Need to narrow the gap with something.
15234468415921386873690.jpg

Sponsored Links
just some hardwood strip might do. Once it is painted, it won't be obvious that it's added.
IMHO security needs to be discrete, or it flags up "something worth pinching here"
You could get some steel/alli bar stock to edge the frame, again, painted so it isn't obvious

just some hardwood strip might do. Once it is painted, it won't be obvious that it's added.
IMHO security needs to be discrete, or it flags up "something worth pinching here"
You could get some steel/alli bar stock to edge the frame, again, painted so it isn't obvious

. That's easier to work with than metal. Could plane down an angle so door doesn't catch as well when closing. Isnt wood easier to get out. I mean stick a spade down the join and lever it out. I guess long screws will make that tricky

If you sand and fill, then paint, it can become part of the frame so the intruder doesn't spot that it's an add on.

You could fit tamper proof screws too prevent removal, though steel up and over door are very easy to access, one good impact to centre and the door buckles releasing any side bolts.

my door has a catch on each corner.
I wonder if a long horizontal bar from edge to edge mounted near the bottom to keep the door straight might help?
Weight would be an issue so possibly alloy tube or carbon fibre rod fitted in such a way that it fights compression.

my door has a catch on each corner.
I wonder if a long horizontal bar from edge to edge mounted near the bottom to keep the door straight might help?
Weight would be an issue so possibly alloy tube or carbon fibre rod fitted in such a way that it fights compression.
My neighbour fitted angle iron to base of his door with concealed padlocks both ends.

Ok this bit of 9mm hardwood down the side closes the one inch gap so it's too small for a crowbar. Planning on painting it and cutting a groove for metal bit where bolt goes in and putting screws all the way down which aren't easily accessed. There's a few inches at the top still original width though
DSC_0613.JPG
DSC_0612.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back