meter board / fuse board broken and accessible by babies, how to have it repaired / replaced?

Sponsored Links
judging by the old cleat on the wall, there may formerly have been a lift-off cabinet or panel protecting it.

I don't know what the total width of the hall is, obviously. A front door is often 32" wide, plus the frame.

How wide is a buggy?

they usually fit through a doorway.

This one is 73.50cms (29")

WM1Y120032_twin_triumph_black_charcoal_3_4_BH-1.png

or less, obv.

WM1Y120032_twin_triumph_black__fold_CBH-1.png

Last edited:
Why do we live in a world where everything is always doubted and where customer care is not existing unless money is involved ?
That thing has been broken like that since the day we moved in 5 years ago.
Regardless of the broken bits, to me it looks like this an unsafe installation, which would mean that perhaps we could be owed a refurbish FOC?
If I'm not mistaken gas companies are responsible for leaks up until the meter, is the situation different for DNOs?
Maybe the current box is not compatible with the newer smart meters?
Maybe DNOs have a duty of care?

Millions of reasons why perhaps they could do it FOC, hence why my enquiry to see if anyone here has ever been on a similar situation
My first question to you is why did you not report it as broken when you first moved in then?

Sponsored Links
To the OP: If your children are able to touch that then you need to cover it immediately or keep them out of the area until WPD can attend. They wont move it FOC but they will repair it in the same position, however as you mentioned they have inspected and passed it previously they might levy a charge as you have allowed it to remain unprotected and at risk of damage, the responsibility is on you to ensure it's not damaged as WPD can't control what happens in your home, there is absolutely no way they would have left it in that condition when previously inspected. Yes it's in a stupid position but they usually are in old houses, as someone has already mentioned it looks like there was some sort of cover around it previously as the bracket on the wall is still there.

If you want it moved then you'll have to cough up the cash and pay WPD, either way it cant stay in that exposed condition even when repaired especially if you have a toddler running around. Your options are, pay WPD to move it and keep your child safe or box it in and suffer the inconvenience with the buggy but your child remains safe from harm which surely is what you ultimately want?

Box it in with a box which can be easily removed (by an adult) on the occasions that you need to get the buggy past that point.

Agree with @dannyboi2003 . That looks like you've damaged it, it's at pushchair rail height and DNO would not have left the cutout with a broken cover.

WPD are a good DNO so I suspect they'll fix it for free but they are entitled to charge. Is the plastic broken under that duct tape? If so they will consider it dangerous and repair probably the same day.

You need to box it in and be more careful with the pushchair.

@TofuSpaceship can you explain why you would need to buy a new car if you got a narrower pushchair? Is it an up/down or side by sid and is it foldable?

I only ask because if you have a disabled child then you can get access to industry funding which will probably move the cutout for free. If you have mobile kids and CBA folding the pushchair or buying an up/down double then the damage is on you.

You could box in the cutout today with some MDF from B&Q and your kids wouldn't be at risk.

As someone with two young kids, if they are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back