Meter box rules and a reg ref?

Sponsored Links
Not sure I've seen a rcbo with a type B rcd unit?
http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Circuit+Protection/Consumer+Units+%26+Accessories/Hager+Consumer+Units+%26+Accessories/Hager+RCBOs/Hager+17th+Edition+RCBO+Type+B+SP+16A+30mA/3509344105
I may be wrong, but as far as I can make out, the reference to 'Type B' in the name of this Hager RCBO refers to the MCB curve, not the RCD functionality.

Kind Regards, John.

I've been itching to say that for days, but desisted because the OP made it clear that he wasn't interested in anything but whether he could use the box.

So it's his problem if he gets unnecessary tripping.

I've been itching to say that for days, but desisted because the OP made it clear that he wasn't interested in anything but whether he could use the box. So it's his problem if he gets unnecessary tripping.
To be fair, it was Adam_151, not the OP, who introduced the concept of the possible need for Type B RCD functionality. However, that would only become an issue in the very unlikely scenario of DC getting onto the AC side of the inverter - and, if I understand correctly, the problem then would not be 'unnecessary tripping' but, rather, failure to trip when it should.

I'm with those who have never seen or heard of an RCBO with Type B RCD functionality - although that obviously does not mean that such animals don't exist.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I've seen a rcbo with a type B rcd unit?
http://www.electricalcomponentsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/RCBO.html
Wylex RCBO's B type part numbers:
NSBS6-B/1
NSBS10-B/1 Etc...
I should haved added that I also think that all of those are RCBOs with Type B MCB curves, NOT Type B RCD functionality.

Kind Regards, John

To be fair, it was Adam_151, not the OP, who introduced the concept of the possible need for Type B RCD functionality. However, that would only become an issue in the very unlikely scenario of DC getting onto the AC side of the inverter - and, if I understand correctly, the problem then would not be 'unnecessary tripping' but, rather, failure to trip when it should.

Actually the point I was making was that I questioned the use of an RCBO at the start of the thread, because it appears that organisations like NICEIC have been training their MCS course attendees by saying that a PV submain 'must have an RCD because it's a new circuit'.

A number of recent PV installations I have heard about have experienced tripping problems, which were unnecessary because the RCD was redundant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back